1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the fnial word on having a phone connection?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jzinckgra, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 #1 of 10
    jzinckgra

jzinckgra AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    I am all set up for an install at the end of the month. Only need one 722 RX, which will fee my HDTV and SD. My router will be nowheres near the RX, so I was looking at the Netgear Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridges, but at $100 for two and some horror stories of the units burning up and getting hot (uhh, fire hazard), what are my options?
    There's no wifi on the 722 nor even the ability to plug a wifi USB unit like my Tivo box, right?
    I read here that if you only have one HD DVR box, then D* doesn't charge you the $5/month. So what is the final word on this? Thanks.

2. May 8, 2009 #2 of 10
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Requirement is to have either a phoneline OR network (ethernet) connection so your dual tuner DVR can send in PPVs, etc.

There is a charge ($5) for the 2nd tuner access, waived if the above is met.

The 722 will do network over the powerline (they call it DishComm), but you need a powerline to ethernet converter at the other end to connect to your router. You could also use the wireless bridges that plug into ethernet as well.

3. May 8, 2009 #3 of 10
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Actually, the first TV2 fee is waived if the customer enrolls in the DVR Advantage promotion.

4. May 8, 2009 #4 of 10
    jzinckgra

jzinckgra AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    That's what I enrolled in I think. Digital Home Advantage. So the fee is waived? If so, how's the box going to communicate with D*. We won't have a landline, so only ethernet would be possible, but I don't want to use wired bridge do-dads.

5. May 8, 2009 #5 of 10
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    DVR advantage and Digital Home plan are two different services, in your case the fee is not waived. If you have dsl, hook up an eithernet cord from the router to the receiver and setup broadband connection on the receiver (press menu; system setup; installation, broadband setup; network setup; reset connection; done.)

6. May 9, 2009 #6 of 10
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    If your 722 started communicating with D* it might be suspected of treason. ;)

D* = DirecTV
    E* = EchoStar, creator of Dish Network

The only actual need for connecting with the mother ship is to report PPV purchases and to get your account information for some of the customer service apps under Dish Home.

Also, per http://www.dishnetwork.com/customerservice/billing/fees/
    "Your first Duo receiver connection is FREE for two TVs with DishDVRAdvantage"

7. May 9, 2009 #7 of 10
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I have a 722 and a 501. I don't need a phone line connected?

8. May 9, 2009 #8 of 10
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Per the Residential Customer Agreement you do, but with only 2 receivers you're not likely to be bothered by the audit team. The 722 should be your primary receiver, so with DVR-A you won't have the TV2 connection fee.

9. May 9, 2009 #9 of 10
    jzinckgra

jzinckgra AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    yeah sorry, I meant E*. Ok, so it looks like I don't have to have my 722 connected via ethernet since, that will be my only RX, which will also control a 2nd SDTV. But, what if I want to order movies, then I would have to have the connection right? Would that be the same as PPV? I usually associate PPV with prize fights, wrestling, etc, which I never watch anyways.

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    if you want to order PPV, you can order through the Dish website, without having the phone connection.