1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the purpose of the "Hide HD Channels" function on the R22s?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cartrivision, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Why would anyone want to view the inferior quality SD channel if a HD version is available? Even if they have the H22 hooked to a SD TV, the HD version of the channel will provide a superior quality picture.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have HD Access on your account, your R22s will function like HR21s, i.e. get all HD channels. If you don't like this for some reason, if your R22 will never be used on an HDTV for example, hiding HD channels will essentially remove that feature.

If you're SD-only, hiding HD channels will effectively give you more recording space as you'll never record an HD program by mistake.

3. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    What's not to like? The higher picture quality? The higher quality is evident on SD TVs too. The recording space issue could be a legitimate reason though, although with 1.5TB disks going for about $100 these days, the space problem can be solved very cheaply.

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Haven't had a r22 by my understanding was that for customer who received one in a MPEG4 locals area it would try to tune to the hd version of the channel when they typed in a channel number and they wouldn't be able to view it. The hide HD duplicates changes this so it goes to the sd version of the channel directly which is the only version they can actually get.

5. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    I thought that not having HD Access did that. Did the R22 owners with SD service only used to get a channel not available error if they tuned directly to a channel number that shared a SD and HD version of the channel before the hide HD function came along? If so, that would be really annoying.

6. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    No, they got the HD channel but got a 721 error

7. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    Same thing.... that would be really annoying. If that's true, I'm surprised that they didn't have a fix for that a long time ago.

8. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    But this is the R22 with HD Enabled. I thought R22's via the software update would only have HD Enabled IF and only if HD Access was on the account. Am I wrong? If you are in an MPEG4 locals market with no HD Access on your account, the R22 should be a R22 without HD enabled, right? Or am I just talking in circles... lol.

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Most of the R22s will not have BBCs when HD is first enabled.

Hiding the HD channels alieviates a lot of frustration until the BBCs are obtained.

10. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Because it is a pain trying to explain to SWMBO about changing the format to eliminate the bars on SD content. If I hide the HD channels, the basic viewing experience is the same as using the old receiver.

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This is exactly the problem that the "hide HD" function is solving. It was pretty annoying to key in a channel number and automatically go to the HD version when you didn't have an HD version, and have to use channel up (or is it down?) to get a channel you could watch.

12. bc3tech

bc3tech AllStar

Jan 3, 2007
    HD chan on the r22 will allow 480p output via component to SD TV's that support Progressive scan.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bingo! We have a winner.

14. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I never did in my area also my guide never had "HD" logo listed in the guide.That's with the Triple LNB SD Dish.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    0x34c enables HD on R22s for those that have both an HD antenna and HD access on their account.

16. cnmurray8

cnmurray8 Legend

Jun 19, 2008
    I have my R-22 hooked up to a SD Tv and after I received the update played around with the settings. When you few the HD channels the top and bottom has the blacl bars but you get more in the picture and it is a better quality picture. The SD channel looks the way SD normally does. I experimented with the Bruins, Rangers hockey game on MSG last night and you saw more of the ice on the HD channel. I will now hide the SD channels even though it is an SD TV. The HD channels look better and provide more in the picture even with the black bars on the top and bottom.

17. TheShanMan

TheShanMan Cool Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I am looking forward to this because I can't seem to get HD channels to show bars above and below on my SD tv. If I could get my hr23-700 to show the bars, I wouldn't care so much.

18. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Where can you get a 1.5tb hard drive for $100?

19. HRJustin

HRJustin Godfather

Mar 5, 2009

Actually this is wrong this has never happened on the R22. This is however how it works with the current National Release on the H2x receivers(0x42EB/EE). Before the "hide HD channels" option was introduced there was no way to hide HD channels. HD has been completely disabled on the R22 from the beginning. The HD channels have never shown up in the guide and the format/bar color tabs in the menu have always been blocked. This is still the case even with 0x034C without HD access. The R22 should be converted to only use the "hide HD channels" option on an account without HD access. The "hide HD channels" is not being utilized on the R22 for subscribers without HD access. The R22 still remains disabled by not being able to change format options or bar colors. The "hide HD channels" option should have been the original way to disable HD

For example I am in a local 72 swap market and have an R22 and three H21s. With the current National Release on the H21s if I direct type to a channel with an HD duplicate it tunes to the HD channel automatically. This in turn displays a black screen with the "Channel not purchased. (721)" error message. This is how I assume the HR2x receivers worked before the release of 0x034C which includes the "hide HD channels" option. The HR2x has never disabled HD tab,resolutions, and channels in the way that the R22 has.

You are correct that this is very annoying and frustrating for the H2x receivers(and HR2x without HD access before 0x034C). The latest CE for H21/23 has the "hide HD channels" option. This is the default option without HD access. This makes it much easier when direct tuning a channel it correctly tunes to the SD version. My parents always complained why when they typed in a number it displayed the 721 message. They would always have to go to the guide or press channel up to get to the SD version of the channel.

20. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    According to other posts here, an R22 that isn't HD enabled always had the problem of allowing unintended tuning to the HD channels that can't be received, so that can't be why the feature is just now showing up. It sounds like it was needed from day one, not because they are enabling HD on R22s that don't have BBCs.