1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whats up with no DJS

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Paul Secic, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Are the DJS on strike or something? What's going on??

2. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Matt The Cat, formerly one of the 50's on 5 DJ's posted this link on his FB page.

In a move that’s modest but still frustrating, SiriusXM satellite radio has taken the disc jockeys off two more music channels, 50s on 5 and 90s on 9.
    As it happens, this erases several jocks that New York listeners know, including WAXQ (104.3 FM) morning man Jim Kerr, Pat St. John and Norm N. Nite, all of whom hosted shows on the ’50s channel.
    SiriusXM saves a few bucks in salaries here. The main goal, presumably, is making those channels music-intensive — a trend that has permeated all of music radio over the last 10 years.
    The thinking is that listeners want music, not voices.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/sirius-xm-dumps-djs-50s-90s-channels-article-1.1601863#ixzz2t8MxkrH9

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You are very correct - I cancelled my service -because of the added Voices.

2 people like this.
  4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Dump the Yakkety-Mouths? YEAH!!! YahOO!! YIPPEE!!

Now if we could get broadcast stations to do that, I might be able to listen to radio again.

5. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I just heard Pat St. John on 60s on 6.
    I remember him from WPLJ.
    I even remember when WPLJ was WABC-FM.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Hehe,amazing........ After all these years they finally are realising this??

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well depends. I listen to my Morning Talk Show because of the host(s). I certainly like less music there.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't see why with all the channels they can't have a mixture of both.

9. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    I wish they'd take them off the Pulse. I get so tired of the same old morning antics every freaking day. I just want music!

1 person likes this.
  10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Technically, would it be that hard to have a subchannel with narration, DJ, descriptive audio, etc. that could be selected or not by the listener ??

My Starmate 5 is 'aware' of the titles played on other channels and alerts me if something I consider a favorite turns up on another channel, it can't be that hard to have as an an option a DJ on a given channel or not.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I agree!

12. scr

scr AllStar

Feb 5, 2008
    Good news about the 50's on 5 I'll have to listen to it now.

I really wouldn't mind the DJ chatter if they wouldn't talk once the music starts. I never liked it on free OTA radio and I like it even less when I'm paying royalties to listen to music on XM. It would seem like there is some kind of prize to win for the most worthless words said during the song intro. If they would just shut up once the music started till it stopped all would be fine with me that's why I have mute.

1 person likes this.
  13. ces1948

ces1948 New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    I kind of like the chatter on the 50's, 60's and 70's channels. I've heard most of the songs a million times so hearing the DJ's actually involks the feel of being back in those days and listening to the radio. JMO

1 person likes this.
  14. REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    it always made it hard to record your favorite songs on a reel to reel or cassette tape, had to wait till talking stopped this would cut off part of the song.:)

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One is paying royalties to LISTEN, not to record. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    To me I prefer listing to a radio station where the DJ announces the name of the song and artist either after every song or every other song. Stations that play songs with put any announcers seem boring. Makes a radio station seem more listener friendly with the announcing of song and artist, time announcements, weather announcements.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

17. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I hope they get rid of em all. i'm so sick of hearing yackity mouths about nonsence I pay for music I want music. if I want to hear yackity mouths than i'll tune to a talk station

18. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    kind of like newbie posters.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Let's talk about the thread topics not the posters.

20. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Boring with out voice interaction. If one does not want ant talk on their stations then subscribe to XM radio.

Local radio stations particularly AM stations should have disk jockeys. Now then there is the stations that have way too muck talking and no music. Now I agree that needs to be changed. All that is said on those stations is the same thing over and over again.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.