1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What's with all these video ads suddenly in Firefox?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Within the last day or so, with no advance warning or notice, video ads have popped up while I'm on the Internet using Firefox. They're all in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I can close the vids, but only after 10 seconds have elapsed. I made no changes to my PC, Firefox, or my A/V software that I use. (Scans of my system show nothing bad or unwelcome.) I've always had the "block pop-ups" box, among other related settings, checked on Firefox. None of that seems to be making a difference, because as I said, this annoying crap just started.

This happens regardless of the site I am visiting. In the time it took me to come to this forum and post this, two of these damn ads came on. In addition, a large pop-up box about Seinfeld appeared.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix this?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Nothing of the sort happening to me on my Firefox, on any Web sites I visit. That sounds a lot like some ad-ware I once had on my system years ago... something I had installed had left behind a thing that was feeding ads in the corner of my screen at random times. I forget what it was or how I got rid of it, as it was so long ago... but it was related to some program I had installed and then uninstalled but it left its ad-reader behind when it uninstalled.

3. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    Do you have the extension ArcadeCandy Games. I fixed a friends firefox by getting rid of that extension. Try starting Firefox in safe mode with extensions disabled,if the pop ups go away its a bad extension.

4. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Check out adblock plus.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Thanks, Gentlemen. I'll work on this when I get home.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Run Malwarebytes.

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    You might also want to run ShouldIremoveit. Very helpful program. www.shouldiremoveit.com

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I do that quite frequently. Unfortunately, Malwarebytes found nothing wrong during the scan I ran last night. Weird.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Not weird if it's coming through a FF extension. Somebody may have hi-jacked that extension.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have been running an extension in FF called Noscripts. You can selectively deny access to any site that is showing on the screen.
    It is free and they update it more than FF.