1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with ESPN's incessant SD broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Lord Vader, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Both ESPN and ESPN2 are supposed to be in HD. OK, I realize that not 100% of everything they show is in HD, but come on--all these basketball games on both channels in SD?!?

What's with all these games being shown in pillar box SD? It has gotten to the point where I actually hope the Big Ten Network shows my Illini, because those games are actually in HD. Whether it's the Big Ten, the ACC, the Big 12, or any other conference, the last several weeks most of the games I've seen on ESPN and ESPN2, especially ESPN2, have been in pillar box SD. Fortunately Illinois @ MSU is in HD now, but the game preceding it wasn't. Neither was a game earlier or the other night.

I don't buy the excuse that it's the fault of the home team's facilities or equipment, either, because I've seen these same teams' broadcasts on other channels in HD, but when they're shown on ESPN and ESPN2 (especially ESPN2, as I said), they're in SD.

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Why? SD is cheaper.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I agree.. SD is cheaper so that is why ESPN is doing so much SD stuff still. I can't say I've watched basketball since I was 3 or 4 since that sport is soooo boring to me, but the more HD anything, the better.

4. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I prefer college basketball any day over the NBA, btw.