1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHDVR - Can not connect to internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by fluffybear, Mar 29, 2011.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have been trying to figure this out over the last few days and am finally at a loss.

For the last few days, none of my DVR's have been able to access to the internet. However, all the machines are visible through the DECA clouds and can access programming from one another. All the units with DECA units have green lights & are plugged in the top ethernet port. The only thing none of these machines can seem to do is access the internet.

I have tried setting static addresses
    I have tried DHCP addresses
    I have tried to restore the networks default - all that does is bring me to a 169.x.x.x address
    I have rebooted the DVR
    I have rebooted the router & Cable Modem
    I have exchanged DECA Units between the units
    I have replaced DECA Units
    I have exchanged patch cables between the DECA and the router
    I have changed ports on the router

That about exhausts it and am a total loss from here..

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    What kind of Router do you have?

I had to call Linksys to get my Router to work and I had to coordinate with Bellsouth to get my Modem to work as it was assigning the wrong IP Address to the Modem.

Bellsouth finally fixed the wrong IP Address to the Modem and I was back in business.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    1) A firewall may be in play on the router.

2) Do you have the mac addresses accounted for each device connected to the router? [That setup is under network filtering on my DLink, but not sure which router you happen to have...without that set up on my router...nothing gets through here.]

3) Rich is right that the IP on the AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) DSL modem might need to be configured to pass through web content. It's a setting on the modem software - 192.168.1.254 is the bellsouth defualt to get to the modem admin menu.

4) Last, but not least....what about your network security setup? I have WPA2 here, and it also needs to be set up/configured properly.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Excellent Suggestions, Mr. HDTVFANGUY!!! :D

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That fact that when you restore network settings, it reverts you to the IP addresses of 169.254.x.x means that the receivers are not seeing the router.

I assume that you have a Broadband DECA to bridge the DECA network to your home network, correct? Disconnect one of the receivers that uses a DECA and hook up a laptop there. If everything is working correctly, it should obtain an IP address for your network. If the laptop has the 169.254.x.x IP address, then there is probably an issue with the Broadband DECA.

You can replace the Broadband DECA as a test with one of the white DECAs that the receivers use by doing this... Put the white DECA where the Broadband DECA is hooking the ethernet cable from the DECA to your router. Where the pigtail comes off the DECA, plug that into a receiver so that the DECA can be powered. If when you do this, the laptop that was hooked to the DECA or the other receivers have access to the Internet, it's the Broadband DECA that was bad.

- Merg

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That won't come into play if everything is hardwired.

- Merg

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Sometimes Bellsouth sends out this IP Address and it need to be corrected by Bellsouth so I would call them if you determine that it is not a problem with the Broadband DECA Module.

They can easily walk you thru the steps to tell you if they are correctly applying the correct IP Address to your Modem.

8. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    1) Nothing odd looking with the Routers firewall (at least nothing has changed from last week when things were working)

2) Yes, Mac Addresses and IP addresses are all accounted for.

3) Using Comcrap for internet service - will check that content is being passed

4) Network security is WPA2 as well. Will double-check settings

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Sounds like #3 is your biggest probability.

There may be a setting to allow pass-through on that cable modem. If you can get into the modem admin software, you can browse around for various settings.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would call COMCRAP and let them explain what is going on!!! :D

Ain't It Great Living In Peachtree City???

We have got to get together sometime in the near Future!!! :)

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I use Comcast for Internet. There shouldn't be any issues with the modem itself. If any other devices can get on the Internet, the issue isn't going to be with the modem.

- Merg

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, you are Correct in that assertion!!!

If not it could be a problem with the Modem.

Don't ask me How I Know This To Be True!!! :lol:

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Which would send him back to the router where we all started.

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    They won't do much for me since I own the modem - Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Does not appear that's an issue. I can pull web content using other devices such as the Wii and DVD Player.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Try to swap out your Broadband DECA for another DECA and see if you can connect. You might need to rerun Network Setup or reset your receiver for it to pick up a good IP address.

- Merg

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    OK - but it could still be something with your Internet Connection Kit setup with the router.

Since NONE of your WHDS devices see the Internet...the common denominator to your symptoms seems to be the point of entry - the network connection for the entire WHDS network. The only other item is the modem, which appears to be eliminated.

18. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Swapped out 3 so far!

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Okay, let's go step by step then...

First, is your Broadband DECA the black version or are you using a white one with a PI?

Take the ethernet cable going from the Broadband DECA to the router and hook up a laptop to it and see if it obtains an IP address correctly. If it does, hook the Broadband DECA back up and then hook up the laptop to a different DECA that is on your network. Check again to see if it can obtain a good IP address.

Let us know what happens...

- Merg

20. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have both!

I have been using the white ones. I changed out the White DECA unit & PI with a black one at the router with no changes.

Plugging in a laptop to the same ethernet cable and the DECA brings up a correct address.
    Again, I should point out that the DECA cloud appears to be working fine as I access content from other DVR's in the home. The issue is only with the DVR's trying to access internet based content.