1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WHDVR charge mandatory even for long time subscriber?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by parts.man, Sep 10, 2013.

1. parts.man

parts.man Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Called the other day to ask about renewing previous $20 monthly 2 year HD credit/then reduced to $10 monthly 1 year package credit and was offered a 1 year $5 monthly credit. I appeared to be talking to an English as a second language person and we were having difficulty communicating. I should have hung up and called later. Anyway, he said that was what he could do as far as renewal. So, I check my bill to find I was now being charged a monthly $3 WHDVR fee. Talked to some department today and he assured me that it was now mandatory even though it had not been on my bill previously and was never mentioned during the earlier call. Anyone else had a similar experience? I thought you could be grandfathered in as far as it not being required--owned Genie, activated April 2012.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Whole Home Fee of $3 has never been waived. Some people have managed to get a credit to offset it, but that's it. However, there are cases where Whole Home was activated, but for some reason the fee was not charged. Once the system catches that oversight, the fee is added on. It's possible that when you were talking to the CSR they did something that caused the system to catch the oversight. So, you actually managed to have another $3 for the past 18 months.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It used to be that a single Genie with no other boxes could get away without the fee, but that is no longer the case.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It used to be that a single Genie with no other boxes could get away without the fee, but that is no longer the case.

I think that was the oversight that is being corrected.

- Merg

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Oversight or policy change, it depends on who you ask. I don't think they ever expected Genies to be in that environment.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Oversight or policy change, it depends on who you ask. I don't think they ever expected Genies to be in that environment.

Just a single Genie? That's the perfect setup for some people.

- Merg

7. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Single Genie household here. (Plus a THR22 that doesn't participate in WH.) I get charged the $3.

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I wanted a single HR44 with no clients and no other boxes. I just wanted the 6 tuners. But they told me I would be charged $3/mo extra for the WHDVR, so I told them to forget it.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Probably all for the best as the HR44 has only five tuners.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    :rotfl:

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, I'm definitely not paying an extra $3/mo for only 5.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Then get an dual tuner DVR and save $3.00 a month

13. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Called the other day to ask about renewing previous $20 monthly 2 year HD credit/then reduced to $10 monthly 1 year package credit and was offered a 1 year $5 monthly credit. I appeared to be talking to an English as a second language person and we were having difficulty communicating. I should have hung up and called later. Anyway, he said that was what he could do as far as renewal. So, I check my bill to find I was now being charged a monthly $3 WHDVR fee. Talked to some department today and he assured me that it was now mandatory even though it had not been on my bill previously and was never mentioned during the earlier call. Anyone else had a similar experience? I thought you could be grandfathered in as far as it not being required--owned Genie, activated April 2012.

You said you've had yours in since April 2012 so you should be one of the (very few) people who are grandfathered in to not needing the MRV charge. The system may have just automatically thrown it on your account when the person was adding discounts on to your account.

Call again. If you got it in April 2013 you would need it on your account.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    That's a ripoff if they charge WH if you only have a Genie and no other receiver. It don't make sense when it's not being shared by other boxes. In my case I have 4 boxes with unsupported WHDVR service, Which means if I try to remove it's a no go?

15. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I would venture to say that probably most Genie households are Genie + clients only households. It makes sense from a functionality standpoint that a Genie + clients would get charged WHDVR, since it's effectively the same as having several DVRs through the house. A genie and no clients is a weird situation, and it sucks that they can't not charge the WHDVR fee, but that probably doesn't come up very often. I'd imagine the average consumer getting a Genie is getting it for the clients specifically. Have to remember most edge cases that come up with members of this forum likely don't apply to most of the 20+ million subs out there.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well in a sense, WHDVR is not being charge. the fee is called Advanced Receiver Service and is $25.00 a month. We old timers know that the WHDVR is included in that fee, but new customers who does not know about the old fee structure would not know about this.

17. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have a Genie and a client and get the $3 fee waived. Always have. Someone said that the Genie fee is going up to $25/month? Who would pay that for a DVR? I have a $10 HD credit and a $6 "primary" TV credit, too, whatever that is.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The $25 fee is charged to newer customers and includes DVR, HD and MRV in one fee. The primary tv credit is because they charge you for the first box, then credit it back. Everyone has this credit.

19. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    How does Directv expect to keep customers with that excessive fee? That's almost double what cable charges, at least here. My bill states WH fee $3, Advanced receiver - HD $10, Advanced receiver - DVR $10. All but the DVR is credited back, but my bill went up $20 this month - I can't figure out why!

Edit: I bet it's because this is the last month of my original 2-year agreement. I thought it all re-set when I got the Genie, but apparently not.... I also forgot to cancel and re-add the HD Extra Pack. I am only receiving one $15 programming credit, when it was $30 total before. That $15 + $5 HD Extra = $20. Time to call and get it back...

20. parts.man

parts.man Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Yes, I added the owned HR-34 in April, 2012. Statement has reported separate line items for HD at $10 and DVR at $10. I have other DVR's and did not have and do not want Whole Home. Again, I thought I was grandfathered in from having to pay the Whole Home fee that was added, but I couldn't make any headway at convincing the agent. Also, last call I received a $0 line item for Dynamic Upgrade Offer Taker (they offered 3 months of Showtime)--is this associated with that? They apparently have a billing department that just makes up phrases that to non-Directv employees usually make little to no sense. If I find another member that reports I should be grandfathered in, I'll call and try again (and yes, I know its only $3, but I don't pay for electricity I don't use, water I don't drink, etc. so why I should I pay for a service I don't use) . Opinions?