1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHDVR Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by toricred, Jul 19, 2013.

1. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    I just got a HR44 and I'm considering adding an HR24. I do have WHDVR on the account.

* With two DVRs on the same network do I have to tell new series which DVR to use to record or will it just be managed as one large list with 150 Series max?
    * Can I export my Series list or sort it alphabetically on my Genie? I just discovered last night that I had the same series in the list twice and since I'm running out of the 100 series I want to make sure that I haven't done that again.
    * Can both of the DVRs have eSATA drives? I assume that the drive space is not a communal pool, but rather that the HR44 tuners will record to the HR44 drives and the 24 will do the same thing. What happens if all the tuners on the HR44 are in use, will the conflicting recording be recorded by the HR24 instead?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Both series lists are completely independent.

No.

Both can have external drives, visible to each other. However if a DVR goes bad, the recordings cannot be played by any other unit, including a replacement. If a DVR's tuners are all taken, the recording will not occur. It may pick it up automatically on a later showing.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    to clarify, to the system as far as recordings is concern, they are 2 separate DVRs, that just share the playlist. so if you have a conflict on a particular DVR, that DVR might a) "reschedule" the show for a later showing or b} not record at all. it will not record on the other DVR

4. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Well it was worth a shot. I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with the limit to 100 Series.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok what exact equipment do you have now in your system.

Do you record a lot if sports? What all do you record in general?

Two DVrs may be best for you and a good organization. One way I have always organized with multiple DVrs is I record certain channels on one and certain ones on the other. Makes it easy to keep track.

But there's other ways to consolidate recordings depending on what you want to record. More info will help us make suggestions.

6. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    I'm not allowed to watch sports because I get too excited. Most of the recordings are sitcoms and drama series. Right now I have an HR44 and two H25s. I was planning on replacing one of the H25s when I can get a good deal on one. I'm hoping to work that out before the fall season starts. It would probably make the most sense to record local stations on one DVR and satellite on the other. My series are about 60% on local stations and 40% satellite.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Only "real" way is to get more DVRs

8. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    That's what I figured, but I was hoping things would be more integrated as far as managing Series.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hey to exited over sports never stopped me!! Lol

And actually I would not set it up that way if where you. What I would do is start and excel sheet and list all the how's you want to record you know if.

One thing of note always set your local stations higher priority tha. Your cable shows. I there's conflicts the DVr will catch the second airings of cable shows.

Assuming you get a second DVr.

I would likely record everything from one or two ota stations and one or two cable stations on the 2 tuner DVr and everything else on the genie. I'd probably pick the two channels that generally have the most shows you watch for that DVr. Makes it very easy to keep track that way and you don't have to worry about conflicts either.

10. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Yeah the sports thing sucks, but I've had two trips to the ER and one extended stay at the hospital over heart issues. It's just not worth the aggravation especially since I'm a Cubs fan.

Thanks for the advice on how to lay things out. Now I just have to wait for DirecTV to give me a good deal on the HR24.