1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are you charged for a downloadable movie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Jul 20, 2013.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    The wife was browsing through the new releases category from the movies icon out of the main search and browse menu. She found one and selected it, thinking it would show the description or possibly offer a trailer. However it said "Preparing for playback" and we thought well maybe its just the trailer. It started playing the opening, while in the lower right corner it said about the spending limit of $0.00 was reached unlock or more info. However the video was playing even though that spending limit message was on screen. I told her to hit stop and get out of there, were not paying $6 for this. Later we noticed it was downloading in the playlist. I told her to hit the red button and DELETE it.

So will we be charged $6 for watching 15 seconds of the production companies opening sequence at the start of the film, or for the fact that it was downloading to the playlist? Seems like the spending limit is worthless,I mean i have it set to $0 to prevent accidental purchases from our baby playing with the remote... however the video was playing anyway. I mean it would be annoying to watch a movie with that message on the screen the whole time, but still the fact is that it even started playing.

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You are not charged until you say you are buying it. If a message other than "thanks for the purchase, enjoy your movie" is on the screen, you didn't buy it and won't be charged. You typically get the first five minutes free.

Add: you can download it and watch the beginning all you want. If you don't buy it, it don't pay. And with the limit, that would require entering your code.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Generally, you can watch the first 5 minutes of a PPV showing for free. At that point, if you haven't paid for it, it would cut off.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, right on. I always use this "loop hole" to test DirecTV's 1080p format on customers TVs

5. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend

Dec 13, 2012
    When you select 1080p it performs a test with the receiver for the TV to ensure it's capable.

6. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Good to know! Thanks everyone.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It can be misleading sometimes. I like the "real" test better