1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

When is the Genie available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mr. Bungle, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I'm looking to upgrade my Old HR20-100. I can't decide between the HD Tivo or the Genie. The problem is the website says Genie is "coming soon". Its been that way for a while now. Any idea when it will be available in the Central California area? Also I need to know what kind of costs I'm going to have in getting these new receivers, since I have had the same equipment for about 6 years or so.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's pretty widely available now, afaik. I put one in a few months ago, and as a long time customer, high pay, etc, I got one pretty cheaply. Call and find out!
    Post back results, and you may or may not be advised to call again.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is the second such thread that has appeared since the Genie software started rolling out.

The HR34 has been available to the general public for upwards of 11 months and the software updates with the Genie features started rolling out some weeks ago.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Ok. Thanks? If it were available to the general public maybe DTV's website is wrong then. Because when I go to order it it says "coming soon". I was hoping for someone that had a similar experience and had to get all their equipment/dishes replaced, and about how much it ran them.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Apparently they still want people to call and order it so that they make sure the customer gets everything they need as far as wiring, switches, etc.

As far as who paid what that varies greatly from $0 to full price.

See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201785

6. Dec 6, 2012 #6 of 12
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Looking on the DIRECTV web site today for my account, under the My Equipment section it now shows the Genie HD DVR and Genie clients as something you can order, but when you click on it you get a popup saying to call DIRECTV. Since I aleady have a Genie I might be getting that since they only allow one Genie on an account at the moment, maybe those that don't can order it online.

7. Dec 6, 2012 #7 of 12
    nike5580

nike5580 AllStar

Jun 29, 2010
    Pittsfield,...
    I am seeing the same thing on my account. I do not have a Genie yet.

8. Dec 7, 2012 #8 of 12
    wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Its to drive people to call so DTV can be sure you have the correct equipment

9. Dec 7, 2012 #9 of 12
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I thought the computer knew what customers have and determine what needs to be ordered.

10. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    And also because they don't drop ship the Genie...a tech has to come and install it (although in my case, all he had to do was connect the prepared wires).

11. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The billing system does...not the website...it only logs rcvrs

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Ok, so put "please call" on the website instead of "coming soon".