1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the Thunderbolt being released

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by HDTVsportsfan, Feb 26, 2011.

1. LOL ..... over at droidforums.net some folks are having hissy fits that the Thunderbolt is being delayed again. I thought I just laugh about it over here. Funny how peeps get so frustrated and excited (not in a good way) with technology.

2. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    I will say that the Thuderbolt is the phone I am waiting on. I have old iPhone 3G and have been waiting for a 4G phone to come out before I jumped ship from AT&T to Verizon. Seeing that Verizon's iPhone was a 3G phone, I started my search and came across the Thunderbolt. Looks like that is the way I will end up going when it finely does arrive. (Though I may wait a week or so to see what happens. :lol:)

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I really want a phone with a slider keyboard, but the Thunderbolt may be the phone I would make an exception for. It looks like a very nice phone.

- Merg

4. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Current reports is that it seems to maybe have a battery issue. One rumor is beta testers have reported is the 1400 mAh battery has only 3 hours of use and poor reception. Ouch!

5. Mar 1, 2011 #5 of 18
    Carl1367066121

Carl1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When the EVO first came out there were many complaints about battery life. I've never had an issue with mine, but there are a few key variables that can have a significant impact, and I'm sure the same will be trued with the Thunderbolt. The biggies on the EVO are wifi and 4G. If you keep those turned off except when you are specifically using them, it really makes a big difference. Searching for wifi, and searching for 4G, eats a lot of battery (so does searching for 3G if you are in a poor coverage area).

6. Mar 2, 2011 #6 of 18
    David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    As posted on the Verizon Facebook page...

""Hey fans, we appreciate all the excitement about the anticipated launch of the ThunderBolt by HTC. We're excited too! Verizon 4G LTE is America’s fastest, most advanced 4G network & we want to ensure the advanced technology behind our first 4G LTE phone is flawless. We will announce its release date as soon as it is confirmed. Thanks for your support & patience while we work to bring you the ThunderBolt by HTC.""

Augh...Sure does seem like their is an issue seeing their is no date OR they have so many iPhones that did not sell they are giving that more time. (Of course, that is a guess as it could be any of the other rumors flying.)

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, it's up on Verizon's webpage now. According to a press release, it looks like Thursday, March 17th will be the day orders start. Supposedly available in stores on March 18.

Think I'm gonna take the plunge...

- Merg

8. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    It will be in the store on Thursday the 17th. Thursday is usually when they release new phones.

I am all set to get mine as I have preset up my new account with Verizon today and the guy will hold me one. :) Will I be happy with it? I am coming from an iPhone on AT&T, so, well, a new OS for me. This will be interesting to say the least.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hmmm.. I musta read the release wrong. I could swore it said the 18th. Anyways, at 3am on the 17th is when you can start ordering on-line.

- Merg

10. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Ok, got the Thunderbolt. My first DROID phone, so, well, it is a learning curve from the iPhone. This is a lot more you have to "work though" to get somewhere. It is not as intuitive as I would have thought.

I already found a bug. One of the cool things on this phone is the DLNA that allows you to send images, movies, and music to another DLNA like a TV. My Samsung TV is such a TV. It does work, however, it can not play back HD video without stopping every few seconds. Non HD video works fine. More or less, it does not have the power it seems to transmit the data needed fast enough for HD. (Note, this is a WiFi function.)

Other than that, I have already needed to charge the battery again. I am guessing I was playing too much. MUCH to learn.

11. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Here is what The Daily thinks about the Thunderbolt. They do bring up the battery issue:

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03/21/032111-apps-gearreview-thunderbolt-1-2/

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    IPTVConn,

What do you think about the keyboard coming from the iPhone? I have an iPod Touch 2G and have gotten pretty good typing on it using my index fingers (less fat fingering than with thumbs). When I went and checked out the TB at a VZW store, I had issues with the keybaord and the touch screen sensitivity. When using the keyboard, it kept missing letters that I was typing. I would type the word "test" and I would end up with "tst". It was like I hit the"e" and "s" so quickly back-to-back that it didn't register the "e". I also found myself having to hold my finger down on the screen when pressing a button as opposed to on my iPod Touch when I can just tap the screen. Someone at DroidForums mentioned that the keyboard has issues when the phone is plugged in, but that doesn't really make sense (the phone was plugged in at the VZW store).

I am definitely looking at getting the TB, but the keyboard for me is a big issue.

Also, is it true that you can't charge it while using the kickstand?

- Merg

13. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Sorry for the delay. Coming from a iPhone the keyboard is differnt but I got use to it quickly. Even more so is someone turned on me to an app called Swiftkey. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.trial&feature=search_result It makes typing VERY fast even learning how you type. It is really cool.

As far as charging...it is true, you can not use the kickstand when in landscape mode when the charger is plugged in. You see, the usb port is in the side and this is because it is also where a dock would plug in. You can use the kick stand to stand it up vertically while charging, just not in landscape mode.

I am really still not keen on the OS. It really is not as refined as the Apple OS in the iPhone. The apps also are just not as "clean" if you will. But I like some things I can do with it like being able to talk to it to do things. I was just socked at things like the TXT messing being so, well, crude looking. I mean, texting is a main thing these days of course and it is just so rough looking in this OS.

Like computers that run Windows, you have the same issues with the Android OS as you do with Windows. That being, manufacturers making so many different phones that then have to try to make the OS work well with their phones. As such, what may work well one one, may not work well on another based on hardware changes. As such, everything suffers right down to the apps. I really hate that. This is where Apple wins IMHO not only with the MacBooks and their computers, but also when it comes to their iPhone.

Heck, even Verizon who released this phone has not been able to get VCast running on it (Even though it is installed on the phone when you get it.). Yet it can run on other Android phones. Thus the rub and why Apple does so well and why you find apps like NetFlix and others for the iPhone vs not being available on the Android. It is much easier to have to code for one platform than to have to try to make it work with not only several versions of a platform, but all the different hardware. Yup...you did read that right...No Netflix or other major player apps.

I can go on and on but I only have until Thursday to decide if I will go back to an iPhone. I know I will miss the larger screen for one thing as I now find the iPhone screen small. :) I also like that Amazon is now behind the Android Apps. But I still think we will be in a "windows" issue for a long time with the apps and hardware. (It is like every other day their is an update for an app I have. Kind of makes me nervous.)

Oh, I have had to turn things off like GPS and lower the screen down to the lowest brightness setting to conserve battery power. I have also turned off 4G using a backdoor as 4G takes a lot of power. But that then kills the idea of a 4G phone. Augh.

Oh...and don't even get me started that Skype will not even run on it and it was shown to have not only Skype, but video conferencing Skype yet it was removed with no word if we will have it.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Makes me wonder if I should try to hold out for the iPhone5 and see if that will be a 4G phone on Verizon. If it is, I might look at getting the 32GB version then. I have been quite impressed with the iPod Touch I have and enjoy the simplicity and, as you put it, the refinement of the OS and the apps.

- Merg

15. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    It is my guess you will not see a 4G iPhone for some time to come. Why do I think this? Well, Apple is all about solid product in a nice package. The 4G modems take a lot of power to run. As such, you would need a larger battery. Then add to the fact that you also would need a 3G and a 4G modem in the same phone, well, that phone is now getting larger (Which would be a good thing as it would do better with a larger screen.). I am not sure Apple is ready for this extra bulk without redesign. I would think it would be over a year or more before we see a 4G LTE iPhone. (I hope I am wrong, but just my thoughts on why I do not see it any time soon.) I would not expect to see an 4G LTE iPhone until at least the iPhone 6.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

Wow... You really know how to crimp someone's hopes... :lol:

- Merg

17. David Bott

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Sorry!!!! I did not mean to do that. :lol: I had been waiting for the HTC Thunderbolt for so long and it was delayed, and delayed, and now that I got it I am so tossed up. I went back to the Verizon store and looked at the iPhone 4 and it was already hard to get by the smaller screen. I really think the future generations of the iPhone will need a larger screen.

But I am still depressed I can not get things like Netflix.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Netflix thing might actually have me wait out for the iPhone5. I really like the idea of catching a movie on my iPod Touch. In fact, I just watched two the other day while out of the house (found a free wi-fi spot).

- Merg