1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should the PROGRESS BAR clear?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Feb 15, 2009.

WHEN SHOULD THE 'PROGRESS BAR' CLEAR?

1. I like OPTION #1.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I like OPTION #2.

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I like OPTION #3.

45 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. I like OPTION #4 (the existing Wish List request).

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Other. Explained Below.

14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In an effort to prevent the PROGRESS BAR from displaying when it's not needed, we have the following long-standing request on the Wish List:

• The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE.
    A post by Syzygy over in the Wish List thread made me realize there are two situations this request does not cover:

• While PAUSED.
    • During the "default" ADVANCE behavior (30 SLIP)
    So I'm wondering if others agree we should modify the request to read as one of the following:

1. The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or while ADVANCING or PAUSED.

2. The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, while PAUSED or after the last ADVANCE. (PROGRESS BAR will still show while ADVANCING.)

3. The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or while ADVANCING. (PROGRESS BAR will still show while PAUSED.)

4. The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE. (PROGRESS BAR will still show while PAUSED or ADVANCING)

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I voted for Option 2.

I like the progress bar when I'm advancing.

However, sometimes when I'm paused it because I want to see something and the progress bar gets in the way...or it's paused because the phone rang, someones at the door, bathroom break, etc...in which case the progress bar isn't needed.

Mike

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Fair enough. While I like #1, I wouldn't be at all surprised if #2 is the top vote getter, for the same reason folks generally like to see the PROGRESS bar during FF or RW.

That said, when I'm FF/RW'ing, I'm trying to get to a certain position within the RECORDING, so I need the PROGRESS BAR. When I'm ADVANCING (using 30SLIP), however, it's just to get past commercials, so I really don't care about seeing what position I'm in within the RECORDING (same as 30SKIP doesn't show that). /steve

4. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    I voted other. I like to see the progress bar when I'm skipping. Most programs I know the length of the commercial break based upon how far it is into the program. I still have an HR10-250 I use for most of my OTA recording since DTV doesn't carry my locals in HD. I really prefer seeing the bar and a smaller bar as on the HR10. And the HR10 gives me video after each click so I instantly know where I am without the half second or so delay on the HR20. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really prefer the tivo.
    What I would really like to see, though, is options! Give us all the possibilities and let each individual set it as he likes! I know I'll never be in the majority on this, so this is the only way it will ever get fixed for me.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    With my HR20-100 it doesn't matter what interval I select for the Status Bar to clear, it's always 5s. Any Option is fine as long as it clears immediately after hitting play, but would also like it to clear with the interval I select for the other actions (this is TiVo like with the Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select code entered).

6. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I voted "other".
    I would like to see it set as a parameter like the channel banner delay. Progress Bar delay = [Off/Short/Long] would cover everyones needs...

7. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    5. The PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE. (PROGRESS BAR will still show while ADVANCING and will clear like the other banners when PAUSED.)

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Unless you mean you want the PROGRESS BAR to stay on PAUSE for 6 seconds, I think that's option #2. Sorry if it's not clearer. :) /steve

9. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    It would have to be always on for advancing and that would work nicely. I think most people want it on for advancing, then after exiting from the advance the "Progress Bar Delay" would take effect. Maybe [Off/Short/Long/Standard] with Standard being the default behavior that it does now.

That would also cover pausing live TV, not just exiting cruise control or after advances. Like Microbeta said, when you pause, the darn thing is usually in the way of something you want to see e.g. stock tickers, scoreboard crawlers etc.

10. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    The former. I think if it clears immediately when pausing it can throw people off(unless it's an option you change from the default). Like if you accidentally hit pause and you think the receiver just froze on you... :eek2:

I like the "Progress Bar Delay" suggestion. But I'll take anything that clears it after a cruise control, it's annoying.

11. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    You can always press "exit" to clear the progress bar - for example to see something while paused.

12. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    That is what I do. I'm happy with the way it is, but if it were to change I would adapt to that process as well.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I don't think the 2 second/4 second interval was meant to apply to the PROGRESS BAR, but just to the program descriptions while channel surfing. Probably good there is a separate timer for descriptions, because I know I wouldn't want them to clear instantly, maybe just quicker. My .02.

The PROGRESS BAR is another story, however. :) /steve

14. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    Or play when exiting from a cruise control, but the point is that you shouldn't have to. I think it gets in the way enough that it should have different default behavior or have an option as suggested above. Hence the wishlist item.

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I hear you. When I wrote clear immediately, I assumed that meant the PROGRESS BAR would still appear, if only for a second... so you'd still get the visual "cue" that you pressed PAUSE.

/steve

16. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    Another thing is the friggin colors on the thing are gaudy as hell. The color themes wish would be nice. I notice the info banners have some opacity to them. Perhaps an opacity setting for the all the OSDs would be nice too. Damn I wish their software was open source! They'd have the best DVR in short order.

17. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    As long as the damn thing isn't there when a "slip" is complete (or "slip" is stopped w/ PLAY), and it's implemented before the next college football season, any of the options are fine by me. I think it's useless during advance & pause, but don't really care about it then.

18. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Good add.
    Also, as a alternative, perhaps instead of modifying the progress bar at all, they could simply give the option to turn it on/off. If off, just display a simple, less obtrusive symbol somewhere on the screen that indicates the mode (||,>,>2,>3,>4, etc.)

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Progress bar is one of those things that has a short value as a reference point, so voted #2.

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    :) Now you've hit on another one of our long-standing Wish List requests:

Reduce the size and/or brightness of the PROGRESS BAR.

/steve