1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When the analog locals get turned off...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by boogiebear64, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogiebear64

boogiebear64 Mentor

Apr 19, 2005
    When the analog locals get turned off, will Directv then turn on all the local HD stations???(Feb 2009)
    I know this maybe a stupid question to most of you, but I have not heard it asked directly.
    Example I am getting UNCTV 26
    Will I then get UNCKIDS, UNCNC, UNCED, Plus the UNCTV, all HD? (I know I will not be able to see them in "HD", because I have a 32in. tv, hung up on the wall, with surround sound, with a R15.) I know it will only be converted image for my unHD tv. I have no problem with letterbox.
    When will this happen, if it is going to happen?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The only markets they will have the ability to do this in is ones that only receive LIL SD broadcasts in MPEG-4 format today.

They are going to have to upgrade every customer to MPEG-4 equipment in a market before they will be able to only offer HD (or SD locals if a station doesn't have an HD feed) otherwise many customers would loose all their LIL broadcasts, and they are not going to do that.

They will also continue to ADD HD LIL to many markets and most markets getting SD LILs today will have HD and SD LIL at the same time for quite some time.

3. DBordello

DBordello Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    They likely will convert the HD digital signals to SD and broadcast it in MPEG2 as usual.

4. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    The real question is will D* be ready with the new channel numbers for the digital stations, as some of the digital stations like NBC down here in Orlando is 11 but is picked up on the PSIP Channel 2-1

Actually i have a question of my own...will the remapping of PSIP still be used when the digital transition happens?

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The feed you get from DirecTV today from the satellite is already digital. The only effect that February 2009 will have on DirecTv is if there are stations for which DirecTV gets THEIR feed from that station as analog OTA. As far as what gets to your box, it's already in compliance with the changes mandated for next year.

Also, the fact that OTA signals will be required to be digital does NOT necessarily mean that they will be HD. There are digital SD signals.

6. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007

I would guess that almost all of the current digital broadcast stations will map to the same virtual channel number after Feb 2009 as they do now, regardless if they move to a different frequency then or not, so from the viewers point of view, there will be no new channel numbers.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I would say so as well;

Considering that if they were to do this, they would then have to add some type of tag or indicator in the guide such as "OTA" or some other next to the PSIP channels mapped from the OTA tuner, which use those same PSIP virtual channel numbers on the HR20 and AM21/HR21 combos.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes. and it will still be necessary. Many stations especially on Lo VHF will be broadcasting from elsewhere but will want viewers to find them at the old "dial" location.

BTW when analog goes away there will still be some SD broadcasting--it will just be digital. Righat will continue. But they have no announced plans to carry the subchannels.ht now DirecTV may be carryng the SD digital feed of many stations. T

9. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    True

However, most local stations (of the "major" networks) are/will be broadcasting 100% in their network's native HD format (720p for ABC & Fox, 1080i for CBS & NBC), and simply up-convert everything SD into that format.

10. boogiebear64

boogiebear64 Mentor

Apr 19, 2005

Clarification here, the channels I have now will not change so that I would notice it , other than it might be letterbox (channel 2 staying channel 2). The local channels that changed into 2, 3, or 4 HD channels will not be on my r15, and not available as my locals(unless I upgrade to a hd receiver).

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    As far as can be known, since DirecTV does not discuss the technical particulars involved at their facilities publically. But after the transition, the DTV signals in the local markets which are carried by DirecTV will most likely be down-rezzed to 480i SD from their native broadcast formats (mostly 1080i or 720p) and either letter-boxed or cropped at their various uplink sites. Then transmitted to you on their Ku band SD network. So you should see no change in your channel numbering on SD receivers such as the R15.
    However you may receive either a letter-boxed or more likely "cropped" picture as a result of the native 16:9 aspect ratio of the local DTV signal.

12. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    This is already starting to happen. At the station where I work, DirecTV now takes our DIGITAL over-the-air transmission and uses it for their SD feed. We were given the choice of having it letterboxed, or center-cut, and chose the latter, to avoid having most of our programming (which is 4x3) appear like a postage stamp in the middle.

13. boogiebear64

boogiebear64 Mentor

Apr 19, 2005
    Thanks everyone for their help on this one. !!!!!

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    They are doing this now in the Milwaukee, WI market.

One by one, the locals lost their ghosts and other analog artifacts. I don't have HD but watch them on the 101 MPEG2 spotbeam on SD receivers so I was curious what was happening. I called one of the TV stations that had a particularly irksome analog ghost that disappeared one day. An engineer I spoke to said that DirecTV was now using their DTV transmission for both their HDTV and SD customers.

15. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I didn't really see a direct answer to your question, so here goes: If you get one PBS station via DirecTV today, you'll still get only one after the switch, likely non-HD. The others you could get OTA from an H20 or H21/AM21, as some others have posted. I'm doing precisely this with the South Carolina digital PBS stations today on my 27in analog TV and an H20, as they have already turned on their DTV signals. One channel is HD, and all the others are SD, and will remain so, AFAIK. PBS digital OTA is the only reason I have an HD receiver connected to my small analog TV, rather than an SD box like the D11.

There is some deal in the works with PBS to carry HD on DirecTV, but no one knows when or how many sub channels (UNCKIDS, NC, ED, etc. in your case), if any, would be included. When and if that happens, the whole story changes, and maybe you get them all.

If you don't want to spring for a new DirecTV box, you can always get a government coupon for a digital converter box and get all PBS digital channels OTA that way.

16. boogiebear64

boogiebear64 Mentor

Apr 19, 2005
    Thanks for your suggestion about getting a converter to go with my channel master, huge antenna on top of my roof which is only a few years old. One of the reasons I was so curious about the HD channels is because even though I can get about 18 analog channels right now, I can only receive 2 HD channels(Yes they have all switched over).. Because of this I see no reason to get a converter box. Now before I get yelled at saying I have to be able to get more channels. I live at the foot of the blue ridge mountains, in a valley, surrounded by beautiful deep virgin forests. (I have a large farm.) After going to antenna.org and checking my hd possibilities(getting upset at only two channel option), I called my friend who I help out with his computer problems, who works at the local tv/entertainment/satellite as their tech. He came over and with quite a bit of testing, roof climbing(he just really was getting a limb away from the antenna motor), he confirmed that yes I can will only get 2 channels, which he already knew because most of the neighborhood is in the same boat. Sad part is, this is a very rural area, most have always counted on analog for their whether and news, and they will be out of luck because cable is not availible in my huge town of 2000 people.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I don't think it will change any of the current procedures from Directv. Remember, they currently make their decisions based on whether or not your area can get digital off the air signals, not analog.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    The deal has already been worked out, its just a matter of when they start lighting up the PBS stations. I would assume that you will receive all PBS stations that are in your market, but NO sub channels for PBS. I say this because in some markets, like here in LA, we have more than one PBS station, and each of them have HD and multiple sub channels. I believe that they aren't going to offer the sub channels on these stations because they also announced that PBS will have a DOD channel that will carry lots of content. I take this to mean, we are going to offer at least all of our sub channel programing and maybe more on DOD so that we don't eat bandwidth for the sub channels yet can still offer you ALL their shows. Only time will tell if that prediction is true. Channels are supposed to start lighting up this summer....

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Thats unfortunate that your locals aren't broadcasting strong enough for you to receive their digital channels but you can get their Analogue ones. I would start calling or emailing stations and asking them whats up? It could be that hey are planning on changing where they are broadcasting their digital channels from to where they are now broadcasting their analogue channels at the time of the switch over, allowing them to pump out their stations further at that time. Every channel is supposed to be able to cover the same foot print digitally as it was being covered in analogue, but maybe they didn't spend the money for anything other than lower power temporary antennas for the time that they are broadcasting both version. I would be very curious to know the answer to that.

Curios.. Do the analogue stations come in strong, or do they have snow? Do the digital stations you do get come in weakly, or do you have strong signals from them? DO you happen to know where all your stations are being broadcast from, in point of reference to you? i.e. are all stations broadcasting from the same place, or are the two you do get coming from somewhere else, and are the digitals and analogues for the others coming from the same or different places?

20. boogiebear64

boogiebear64 Mentor

Apr 19, 2005
    Not all the channels are completetly clear but 12 of the are. ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, Fox, PBS are all perfect. I have contacted a couple of them, with no response. (Especially after their commercials about how much better HD will be, and how many more channels the public will get if they go buy a converter.) It is really not their fault. The foothills of NC are so high and low. Deep thick forests, valleys and mountains are out of their control. There are just some places that will be seriously screwed over. The sad part is, those are the places where it is rural, people have no access to cable, and need the locals for weather and news. This is not a good thing for everyone. Most people yes, but everyone, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.