1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will DTV add more HD channels?(like Nat'l Geographic)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kathymoore, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    When will DTV add more HD channels?(like Nat'l Geographic)

Thanks!

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Most likely in 2007, when the two additional SATs are launched..
    And some of the MPEG-2 HD is converted and shifted to MPEG-4

3. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I'm pretty sure that at least 1 channel will be given to us before then though or a LOT of people will begin to leave. Dish Network is WAY too far a head on HD for DirecTV not to squeeze something out to keep us content.

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly... I doubt it...
    We have had this discussion before.

For DirecTV right now to add another HD-MPEG2 based channel... you will have to LOSE something on the SD side... as there just isn't enough room left on those SATs (some of the space has to be left alone for backup purposes).

And I don't think the two Spaceway Sats that the MPEG-4 HD-LIL's can do CONUS broadcasts, hence we will have to wait till the new sats are launched.

Dish Network just added National Geo and Food Network...
    now I would like both of those... but I have gone this long without them... waiting 6-8 more months, isn't going to kill me... or make me want to change completely over to Dish (nothing against dish)...

5. jsherm007

jsherm007 AllStar

Jun 23, 2006
    How about cutting out the half dozen evangelist channels in the 360's for another HD channel. Nothing against religion, but who sits there to watch those??? :nono2:
    Oh yeah, and kill VH1 Classic and maybe cut 5-10 of the PPV from the 100's. :hurah:

6. smimi10

smimi10 Legend

May 22, 2006
    I would vote for that, but I wonder how much those folks pay D* for the priviledge of broadcasting? And would D* be willing to surrender that revenue stream?

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

While there may be channels out there that you don't watch (and out of the 500 or so active channels I am sure there are one or two).... Someone is watching them...

8. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    They need to add Cinemax HD by November for Star Wars! :(

9. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    It just amazes me that DirecTV is that strapped for space. Sounds like they aren't half as prepared as Dish is with this whole HD thing. HD locals seem pretty even from what I've seen, with DirecTV maybe having a slight edge. Unfortunately, the Indy HD locals are a sad excuse of an offering with only 2 channels and I don't get to see everybody else's locals. Those additions don't affect me. I just hope DirecTV has something BIG up their sleeve or they will forever be the follower and not the leader of HD.

10. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    True but Dish is running out of room. Do they have plans to launch any more sats?

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The whole Spaceway deal was for spotbeam birds that were surplused by Hughes. Spotbeams aren't going to help with national content.
    Dish Network made strategically different choices in purchasing their satellite space. They bought a substantial amount of CONUS coverage with Rainbow 1 and the space that they're leasing on 129.

What remains to be seen is whether or not the Ka band ploy pays off. If it works as they hope, the payoff will be huge. If it is plagued with rain fade, they'll have to start over and/or install some truly monster dishes.

12. carmangary

carmangary AllStar

May 7, 2006
    The Dish HD channels, other than the ones you can get with DirecTV, are ridiculously stupid. Kung Fu HD? Give me a break.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Sounds like jealousy to me.:sure:

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Dish did purchases/got the rights to (what ever the transaction was), to the old VOOM product... which already had their birds and space up there

Take VOOM channels out of the picture, Dish only has a couple extra HD channels then DirecTV...

15. f300v10

f300v10 Legend

Feb 11, 2005
    I have had the 'Ka' HD locals since Nov. 2005, and they are less prone to rain-fade than the KU signals comming of 119 and 110. Not as good as the KU from 101, but good enough.

Granted that is a spotbeam, so there could be an issue with KA and conus, but I doubt D* would have spent all the money it has on KU equipment if there was a chance it would not work.

16. f300v10

f300v10 Legend

Feb 11, 2005
    D* does have something big comming, 2 brand new conus KU sats with enough bandwidth for 150 national HD channels. They are slated to launch by mid 2007, and when they are up, D* will have more bandwidth than any other provider that I know of, save maybe FIOS and they may even have the advantage there as well. Dish has the most HD channels today. My money is on D* to have the most HD channels from 2007 on.

17. smimi10

smimi10 Legend

May 22, 2006
    I would agree with you that there are 1 or 2 active channels that I don't watch. :)

I still wonder, however, how much of D*'s revenue stream consists of "pay-to-see" type of channels. Maybe not much. Maybe D* doesn't do that.

Maybe I need to research carriage agreements and learn a little bit about the business before I start talking about this stuff. :D

18. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    AMEN!!!!

19. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

Dish has 15 Voom channels, take that away from the 30 total, that leaves 15 hd channels . Out of that 15, 12 are national hd channels and 3 hd premiums . Directv has 7 hd channels + 2 hd premiums = 9. So Dish has 3 more hd channels and 1 more premium hd channel than Directv. Dish will continue to add more and more hd channels while Directv sits and waits for next years satellite launches. I look for INhd and Cinemax hd will be added soon.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    That sounds about right.... Do you have the numbers on how many areas have their "locals" available in HD (I am asking seriously, as I don't know the Dish numbers)

The INHD is going to be intresting to see how it is inked out... as I thought the main reason why INHD wasn't on either of the SATs... is they wanted the revenue # to be based on all digital subscribers.... (which would be all subscribers), not just those that subscriber to the package it is in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.