1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will P2.88 spool?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by boylehome, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    The BSOD, toasted favorites, undesired forced re-boots, inability to properly work with OTA channel mapping changes, and the other annoying bugs are not any less annoying. Any idea when we can expect a better software version?

2. tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    Short answer, NO. Jason most likely knows, however, he can't speak. And like we learned with the last two software releases plans change, (how long was it after the original planned release of 285 before it was released?) so even if Jason did tell it could change two or three times before it happens.

3. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Very well said Tony. :)

4. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    ...said the Tease Master!!! :sure: :rolling:

5. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    *evil* :lol:

I know how you love that sound. :sure:

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yes, Laverne was obviously moved by the *evil* s/fx during the chat. At one point I had the volume cranked on my pc speakers and Mr. *evil* actually startled me :eek: especially with the sub cranking !

Don't we wish we all had these great sound f/x on these fori? :grin: Especially when a poster types in *BSOD*! !danger:

7. Tonik

Tonik Cool Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Hang in there OP. I felt the same way you did. Then I hard booted my box about 50 times, rescanned OTA's and twisted my OTA antenna around a few times.

Finally it stuck and the latest firmware has been working very well for me.

8. dmodemd

dmodemd Godfather/Supporter

Jul 5, 2002
    Satellite guys is reporting from Dish it is going to start spooling today.. what's in it?? dunno..

9. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Satguys may be wrong about this one...it hasn't gone yet.

10. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Satguys is not reporting anything, the Tech Web Site is reporting that. (I just gave a link to the Echostar site which mentioned it was coming out today.)

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    6/20/2005: 1646 Software Version P2.88 for DP811

Effective Tuesday, June 21st, Engineering will begin to spool the FIRST PHASE of software version P2.88 for the DP811 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

At this time P2.84, P2.85, P2.87 and P2.88 will be the valid software versions for the DP811 .

Dish Tech Support

12. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Excellent. This one is going to be very interesting. I think I'll even risk "Without Permission" this time!

13. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yep... There is a post on the Dish Tech Site that it is going to spool today, but with software it is not out until we get reports of it in the wild.

14. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I haven't received any updates since 2.84 on either of my 811s. I have no reason to believe I'll ever see 2.88. Perhaps that's for the best as 2.84 is working fine for me. I think I'll leave my 811s set to not receive any updates without my permission and never give that permission.

15. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Hey Jerry, I certainly understand your skepticism regarding taking 2.88. Like you, my 811 is working fine but I'm on 2.87. If you are not comfortable about taking 2.88, I would certainly wait a bit to see what folks are saying about 2.88. I have had pretty good luck with the software changes so I'm willing to take the "gamble". Of course I have a 501 to fall back on and since there is no football on for quite some time, if E* screws up 2.88 they have plenty of time to recover. But I really don't think they will because they obviously have taken their time to tweak it. I know that some people have issues with the 811 but I gotta to tell you, IMHO, the 811 was a home run for E*.

16. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    I have been praying for an update to 2.84 for months and months and months and months. I'm at the breaking point - ready to throw it out the window - if I see another "No Info" in my EPG and have to hard reboot I'm going to screeeeaaaaammmmm! I bet I've walked a mile between my couch and the 811 to do hard resets! Saw another great one the other day. The box started in a EPG updates downloading loop. Download, complete, guide button, download, complete, guide button, download, complete, guide button, download - AAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

17. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    It looks like Jason doesn't need to speak about release dates now that E* is publishing them. Personally, I don't think that the release dates should be published for the general mass unless E* and their associates can honor what they print. http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/TechDepo.shtml

18. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    My guess is that this release information contained in this link will not be there long. As to releasing anticipated release dates. I am totally in agreement, Too many people don't understand the process and get very irrate when things change.

As to the link.. well as we found it that things change and it is just a hint to a possible update and does not nessarly mean one will happen.

19. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    From what I am told, the above site is intended for the end user. It is my understanding that it is not intended to be hosted or part of the retailer site. So the URL will possibly change as it gets linked off the Dish website. It is not to be considered a final version at this time. Also, as far as the dates posted on that site, I have been told the dates listed are estimations and not offical release dates.

While it is true that I was asked to stop posting dates and release notes prior to the actual release, I also believe the choice was correct. As most here have seen plans change. Dates are pushed back, tweaks are made, and behold now everyone is more cheesed that they didn't get the release on time than they would have been if they hadn't had the expectation or knowedge of it coming.

20. Eddie Estes

Eddie Estes New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    So I guess unless we all post about how great the 811 is and don't mention the problems it has our posts will get deleted.
    We that's it for me. I guess all forums have gotten the Home Theater Forum bug.
    They just delete your posts and act like they never existed.
    Later........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.