1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

When will the SWM be availabe to the general public?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gio12, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 3, 2007 #1 of 64
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    I want to get one asap.

2. Dec 3, 2007 #2 of 64
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is way too important a technology to rush.

3. Dec 3, 2007 #3 of 64
    jwittenmyer

jwittenmyer Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Can someone refresh me on what SWM is?

4. Dec 3, 2007 #4 of 64
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    SWM = Single Wire Multiswitch

Allows you to use both tuners on a dual tuner DVR with only 1 coax cable.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #5 of 64
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I had a pretty knowledgeable installer come out to the house Saturday to replace a defective HR20-700, and he was amazed that I was only using one Sat line and no BBC, yet I was getting 2 tuner MPEG-4 service, so I took him up to the attic and showed him the SWM-5 I have diplexed with my Zinwell 4x8. He's been with his company (Halstead) awhile, and apparently no word of the SWM has yet been filtered down to the installers.

He was understandably very happy at the prospect of potentially not having to re-wire homes already wired for cable. :)

/steve

6. Dec 3, 2007 #6 of 64
    jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    E* has been using "SWM" for a while now, I was surprised D* has not implemented this. I am considering a switch to D*, but am in need of 3 HDDVR's, will the latest dish be able to handle 3 HDDVR's or 6 tuners I guess?

Also will this go beyond the free 4-room basic installation provided by D*? If so is there a way around it, say have the installer do only two HDDVR's, and I will self-install the 3rd, and if so will I need additional switches or rewiring to accommodate the 3rd two-tuner receiver?

7. Dec 3, 2007 #7 of 64
    DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    How were you able to get a SWM?

8. Dec 3, 2007 #8 of 64
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    They have been using single wire... not SWM...
    They are very different in their implementation.

You will need a multiswitch if you need to power 6 tuners.
    So yes... a single dish can power multiple units, if you add the appropriate multiswitch.... I have 1 dish, and 17 active tuners in the house.

It is typically covered by a basic install.
    If it is on your work order to install 3 HD-DVRs they will install the equipment necessary

9. Dec 3, 2007 #9 of 64
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Steve,

That is how DTV does things. The dual LNB, the end of the conversion program,
    the end of pay for no line of sight stops, the requirement for phone connections, the AT-9 & AU-9 and the others I forgot.....were all just kicked out the door. Tech info filters through the system. I get most of my knowledge from this site.

Joe

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    When will the SWM be built into the DVRs?

Joe

11. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    SWM/FTM capability is already built-in to the H20/21, HR20/21 models, AFAIK. It's the switch itself that is not generally available... yet. /steve

12. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    There was a SWM beta (now closed) earlier this year that some of the DBSTalk users were able to get into. /steve

13. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Built into the lnb would be better...

14. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006

If I understand you correctly Earl, the SWM is already available for the newest install? I only have 5 cables into the house, there is no way to fish one more cable in.

Another thing is does D* also install an OTA attenna next to the dish and the wiring? I remember they used to do this. I am thinking one way to make sure they give me the HR20 not HR21 is to insist the installer put the OTA for me in the work order, even if I have to cover the cost.

OK I should reword my question a little. I actually do not plan to get 3 HDDVR's initially, but only one, then if I am happy and decide to completely switch from E* to D*, will add 2 more and cancel E*. If the installer only does the one box install, how diffucult is to add the other two later by myself? Will D* do the dish upgrade for me at that time?

15. johnlnelms

johnlnelms Cool Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Just had my D* installed... Installation tech said no more SWMs for a while. They would stop working after only a month.

16. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    SWM's are starting to sound a lot like WMD's .... they're there we just cant see them.

17. rkreitl

rkreitl Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 24, 2007
    How long has it been in BETA? It's been some time now hasn't it?

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    It is currently available in 4 or 5 field test markets.

DirecTV usually doesn't install OTA antennas anymore...
    That would be something you would work out with the installer and pay extra for.

The difficulty on doing it later, will depend on how the installer runs the cables. At a minimum you will need the installer to run all 4 cables to the dish... so that you don't have to take apart the dish later on to add the extra two.

If you are comfortable with running coax and putting the ends on the cable, it is pretty easy to add things later (Then again... all depends on the construction of your house too).

You would have to get a DirecTV dish Upgrade,if you already have an older dish... to get the new channels... and that is typically part of the standard HD install.

At a later time.... you would proably have to at least eclipse 6 months in service, before they are going to offset any costs/deals involved with additional systems.

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    About a year.

But given that it fundimentally changes the way the signal gets from the dish to the box.... it is a MAJOR MAJOR change and something that can't be updated very easily, since the SWM module is solid state (for the most part), and can't be updated remotely.

So yes... it has been some time, with reason for it to be.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    What will stop working after a month?
    SWMs?

Well that couldn't be more wrong... I have the same SWM since February (the 8ch)... and it is just chuging along, and I am pushing it at it's limits all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.