1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do they normally install SWM's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by eperrone, May 21, 2010.

1. eperrone

eperrone AllStar

Sep 3, 2006
    Hey all,

Possibly getting MRV this Thursday in order to do so I understand they need to install a SWM and DECA. I saw where the DECA things go, but I was wondering about the SWM.

When they do that where does the SWM normally go? Is it mounted outside, in my crawlspace, garage, is it on the dish? Near a powerplug?

Just trying to think where it might go...

Thanks!

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can have a SWM LNB or a SWM Multiswitch.

The SWM LNB replaces the existing LNB if you go that route.

The SWM8 or SWM16 can go in the attic or a crawl space wherever you can attach the 4 coax cables off of the Dish. Mine went in the attic.

3. eperrone

eperrone AllStar

Sep 3, 2006
    What is the difference? right now I think I have a multiswitch with a 5 Slimline dish....

Should I be asking for one or the other?

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It doesn't make a difference as I just had them replace my Multiswitch with a SWM16.

They would probably replace your SL5 LNB with an SL3 LNB and then replace your Multiswitch with a SWM8 or SWM16 depending upon how many DVRs/Receivers you have or will have in the Future!!!

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    depends on amount of tuners you have, 8 or less will most likely get swm lnb.