1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Where else is "Connected Home" heading?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tonypitt, May 13, 2010.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I have been impressed lately with how aggressively DTV seems to be pursuing continuous improvement of their equipment and services. I'm guessing that we'll continue to see this as this 'connected home' initiative seems like something they can use to tout an advantage over cable and other satellite providers.

With today being the startup of the national roll out for Whole Home DVR, I'm guessing that nothing new is on the immediate horizon. I'm hoping that in the future we'll get collaborative scheduling as a part of this initiative. Are there other things that might ultimately become part of this 'connected home' initiative that we could look forward to someday? Is the DVR connected to the Internet going to be leveraged in interesting ways?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    RVU should start kicking around either late this year or early next year .. The ultimate goal for RVU is a single "server" in your home with an RVU tuner built into your TV meaning no STB in most locations in your home.

3. vader78

vader78 Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    DTV engineers say they have 'internet sharing' coming online this fall. This will allow you view content on your DVR remotely. No need for a slingbox and DTV's version of the slingloaded 922.

4. uwhumpty

uwhumpty Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Sioux City, IA
    One thing that I would like to see, is continued development/improvement of the DirecTV2PC software. Vader78 mentions internet sharing, so maybe they'll focus on software that can do this both over the internet and local network, kind of an all-in-one package instead of separate programs.
    Currently DirecTV2PC is working great for me, but with MRV going national soon, some features that I would like to see brought over from MRV to the DirecTV2PC platform are the ability for remote deletion, and displaying episode titles within a folder (currently all shows within a folder just show the show title, not episode title).
    Just my 2 cents.