1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get an inexpensive lateral file cabinet?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Lamutt, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hopefully someone will take a break from the political arguments to help me out here.

I need to pick up a 30"-36" wide 4 drawer lateral file cabinet, and haven't been able to find one for less than about $350. Does anyone know where I could find one for a price somewhat less than that? I'd prefer a metal case, don't care what color it is, but will live with a wood laminate case if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Ebay has a few that are cheap enough that even with shipping you should still save some money.

You might want to try some used office supply shops. This sort of thing can probably be had very cheaply from such places.

3. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Used office equipment stores are your best bet. Especially stores that carry really old stuff. You can spray pain them back to looking like new.

4. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    I know some of the office stores around here have a scratch and ding'd section,, you get better prices. A lot of times,, the bad marks are in the back , which would be up against the wall anyway..

5. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Mark,

I sent you a P.M.

6. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    I like Mike's idea. I was looking for a file cabinet and was unimpressed with the sturdiness of the ones I was willing to pay for. Went to a used office supply store and found a heavy duty file cabinet, only thing wrong with it was the lock was gone, for $40. The only thing about used is it might be a hit or miss if they have what you're looking for.

Phil might have what you want, but it feels so good to post in a non-political thread that is almost sure not to get hijacked that I had to do it. :)

7. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I wonder when Kerry and Bush will publicly reveal all the records still hidden away in their lateral files. ;)

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The swiftboat files are becoming so large they might require an additional file cabinet.

(sorry, couldn't resist :D )

9. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    If you've got the time and energy - I'd recommend neighborhood garage sales. Most people are so releaved to get rid of them and free up some room, they go cheap. I've seen nice woodgrained lateral files go for $50 each. Also, some employers, (mine anyway), has occasional sales of surplus office furniture. I've picked up some real good deals in the past, usually for about $40 and time early on Saturday morning to get in line.

10. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Seattle has this quirky used furniture depot called "Ducky's". They have great prices on used stuff. Useable right out of the box or with minimal touch up. Great way to go!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.