1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where will I place the MultiSwitch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by OwnersEdge, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge Cool Member

Apr 13, 2002
    :hi: I'm about to buy the UTV Dual (2) Sony SAT-W60 system. and so I'm planning my cable installation. Where will I place the MultiSwitch? My dish will be 25 feet from the ideal GroundBlock spot, on the way into the house.

My longest cable run from dish is 25+GroundBlock+77 feet =102.

Shortest run is 25+GroundBlock+38 feet =63 .
    [How does that match up with the configuration of most self-install kits? I've seen only one promo package with a 25' and a 75' RG6 cable.]

I am trying to minimize both cost and cable customizing, but if I have to cut&crimp bulk cable I could use your help to find Beige or even White RG6.

1] Where will I place the 2x4 MultiSwitch, at/near the dish so I have to run FOUR cables all the way to the 4 tuners? Or can I run 2 cables from the Dual-LNB to the MultiSwitch inside the house then branch out the four cables from there to the four tuners? Prettier.

2] Are the MultiSwitches weatherproof, if placed at the dish?

3] Is the 18" dish the correct choice for the 100-channel TotalChoice + LocalsIn Local? Minidishes.tv says they get a stronger signal than the Oval.

I sure appreciate the informed and practical experience of so many I've seen in 6 weeks here.

PS I've given up my last hope of finding an attractive deal on RCA UTV, whose remotes are preferred.

2. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    1. You can run your two cables from the dish to the multiswitch inside your home and then run your four cables to your receivers. I'd venture to say that is how 95% of the systems are set up.

2. You can buy a weatherproof multi-switch if you have to. I found one on EBay - item #1347585907 for $49.50. It is sold by minidishes.tv, a very reputable dealer.

3. You don't need an oval dish unless you live in an area where you are required to have one to get locals, or you have a HD setup.

Good luck. I don't know where to find white or beige RG-6 cable.

3. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    White RG-6 coax is easily found at Home Depot. I don't know about beige, but I use white for all my LNB runs (to differentiate them from my antenna signal), plus white is easier to paint for those outside wires.

I would definitely suggest putting the multiswitch inside if at all possible. On some homes this isn't practical, but it places much less thermal stress, etc. on the multiswitch.

In general, an 18" dish gets around the same to slightly higher signal level than an oval (the oval has less effective surface area for each slot). As noted by karl_f, oval DTV dishes are really only required if you want HDTV, are in a market where your locals aren't on the 101 slot, or if you just want the NASA channel. :)

4. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I would keep multi-switches in the basement if at all possible. You can buy weather-proof ones but why?

5. OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge Cool Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Thanks everyone!!
    Now I can get down to the diiirrrty details.
    Minidishes.tv seems to be on vacation. I tried to "qualify" to order 2 UTV 2-3 days ago, no reply yet.

Tnx agin.

6. Guest

I put in an order with them on the 24th and got confirmation of shipping the next day. It was pretty quick. they ship UPS but dont give a tracking number. Anyone know how long it should take?

-daveninja.com

7. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You can go to the UPS website and go to ground shipping. There is a map showing how long it takes to ship to and from anywhere in the country. Minidishes is located in Phoenix, AZ.

8. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    When you order your equipment via internet, can you still get free professional installation?

9. OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge Cool Member

Apr 13, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.