1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's my iPad Alternative Tablet?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by itzme, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I thought I'd see the device I'm looking for before the holidays. Can anyone help me find a tablet like the iPad, but cheaper and offering a little more netbook-like functionality. Like the iPad, I want it to boot up fast, and I also want WiFi and an option to buy G3 access for a month at a time. I also want USB.

Does this device exist yet? If not, why not? :confused:

2. Nov 9, 2010 #2 of 130
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Samsung Galaxy Tab?

3. Nov 9, 2010 #3 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I actually wonder about that. I can't figure out if it's a phone or a tablet. I don't really want a phone, esp if that requires a phone/data plan. PCWorld compares them, but I still can't tell

4. Nov 9, 2010 #4 of 130
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    It's a tablet. It's not a phone. It cannot make or receive phone calls.

5. Nov 9, 2010 #5 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Been searching it. I've found lots of vague specs and videos. There is a phone Icon in some pictures. I don't really see it for sale yet, so I can't tell if its cheaper than iPad.

Samsung web site says, "Coming soon to AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and Verizon" OK, it's not a phone???

6. Nov 9, 2010 #6 of 130
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    The iPad is cheaper if you don't care about 3G, but if you do, the Galaxy is cheaper...

Best Buy: Samsung Galaxy Tab

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Waiting until next Spring to get an iPad...

7. Nov 9, 2010 #7 of 130
    koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
  8. Nov 9, 2010 #8 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    That's probably good advice, but I hoped to have something for travel planned in January. It'd be nice to be able to get 3G for occasional trips, but not year-around.

Now that looks kinda interesting.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 130
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Before what holidays? They exist somewhere between a chief design engineer's mind and a store, all "Coming Soon" like this:

[​IMG]

Based on advance pricing at Best Buy and Amazon, they'll be as expensive as the iPad.

10. Nov 9, 2010 #10 of 130
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Itz,

Get the iPad. . . you won't regret it.

11. Nov 9, 2010 #11 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I've played around with iPads and I'm impressed with them.

But I'm trying to get something that lets me do a little more netbook-office-multitasking-pc-like tasks when I'm on the road, which actually is rare. I don't like the idea of paying so much extra for a 3G version, yet I will want 3G maybe a 2-3 weeks out of the year. Would be nice to have USB, better yet maybe an attachable USB 3G adapter? Lastly, based on personal experience, I want to avoid iTunes for the rest of my life.

I might just have to buy a netbook, but would rather have something quicker, where the operating system just comes up when I turn it on.

I continue to research and appreciate any ideas. I know I can't be alone in my wants.

12. Nov 9, 2010 #12 of 130
    Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    I have been using the EXOPC for the past few weeks, and it is great. I need to have a windows slate, and all the added windows software seems to be working fine. The public release is slated in a few weeks.

http://ciaravibe.com/?product=vibe

I also am looking forward to testing the new features on Windows 8 which should vastly improve many of the features needed for slate/tablet operations.

13. Nov 9, 2010 #13 of 130
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I am trying to find something I can enjoy Directv Programs/Videos on so I am torn between an IPAD and a 14" Laptop.

I actually like ITUNES alot as I can just Download certain songs I hear in my car with XM Radio and add them to my Playlist.

14. Nov 9, 2010 #14 of 130
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The reviews on the Galaxy have been good. My problem with it is the 7" screen, I think Jobs is correct when he recently stated that Apple believes tablets need bigger screens than 7".

I don't need 3G either, just wi-fi. And I do want a front facing camera, so my wife can interact with our grandkids remotely.

If no one comes out with a 9" or 10" Droid tablet with a camera, I'll probably just wait for the next gen iPad, which I'm pretty sure will have one, because Apple is so big on FaceTime.

If 7" is OK folks want to go cheap, there's always the Cherrypad! :lol:

15. Nov 9, 2010 #15 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    That really looks like what I've been wanting. So do you use a flavor on Win 7 on it now? What is the boot time? Whose making this? None of the links on that site work. Can it get a G3 adapter for when I'm on the road? Does it have USB.

Very cool.

Edit: Now I see the bottom links on that site do work
    Edit 2- the site answered most questions, except for time it takes to boot

16. Nov 10, 2010 #16 of 130
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I keep looking at info on units like the Vibe by Ciara. One reservation is that I regularly use the iPad Kindle App for reading and at 1½ pounds it's on the ragged edge of acceptable "book weight." It's fine, but 8 to 12 ounces more likely would be uncomfortable.

Even though I ponder other options, I think an iPad is what it is and that it's not a replacement for a good laptop computer.

17. Nov 10, 2010 #17 of 130
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I was at AdobeMax this year and there are definitely some tablets coming quickly. By next year the market will be flooded with them. Got a look at the Galaxy and it appears to be a nice option for people that want something that is quick but with a smaller form factor than the iPad. My wife has the iPad and it definitely is cool but is heavy. She wanted it for EBooks but it is seeing very little EBook time and it is main use is web surfing and as a WeRule interface. I think the Galaxy and other 7" devices will appeal to some that want more screen than a touch but less that the iPad. Sorry Steve J, people actually want options and from what I saw at Max, a lot of people felt their was a market for the Galaxy. Time will tell.

One of the pluses on the Galaxy is that it is an Android device and does do Flash. My guess is like Android vs. IOS. It will not be as polished as a ipad but will be more open in terms of the technology under the hood and will provide more flexibility in the application space. Definitely some momentum in the Android market and hopefully it will carry through to the tablet space. Being an Enterprise developer I like seeing technologies that provide me the widest distribution mechanisms so have to hope good things come to the Android tablet space.

Another device I saw was the Blackberry Playbook, Interesting device thought I am not sure they will get the apps growth to really make this device more than a high powered large smart phone. One cool thing about this is that it runs Adobe Air apps and most of the apps on the playbook are native Air apps. bit geeky but cool.

18. Nov 10, 2010 #18 of 130
    Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    From a cold start it takes about 20 seconds....but, from the sleep start, it is almost instant. BTW it will stay in sleep mode for over 72 hours, so startup is really no problem.

Also the the Kindle question.....I am currently reading a book on Kindle Windows with the unit, and it is working perfect.

19. Nov 10, 2010 #19 of 130
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Samsung Tab is now live on tmobile's site. 399.99 with contract, 599.99 without, but there's no plan discount for no contract unlike my wife's tmo plan.

20. Nov 10, 2010 #20 of 130
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Well its priced like a phone, no?