1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Where's my mobile app?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Doug Brott, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1 of 23
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Guys, rather than knocking the other apps in their respective First Look threads, Please use this thread for venting, wishing, anticipating a mobile app for your smart phone.

Cheers.

2. Feb 1, 2010 #2 of 23
    kd4ao

kd4ao Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Windows Mobile doesn't need an App. Just use the IE browser or any other browser to go to m.directv.com, sign in and proceed.

3. Feb 1, 2010 #3 of 23
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Neither did the Palm Pre, as WebOS works just fine on the 'main' web site.

Either someone had too much time on their hands (app released the other day) or the application programming was dirt simple/dirt easy.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #4 of 23
    Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    You could make the argument that nothing really 'needs' an app. However, it's still nice to have it as an option.

5. Feb 1, 2010 #5 of 23
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I'll welcome the Blackberry (Curve) app....think its overdue already, since its the largest mobile install user base out there.

6. Feb 1, 2010 #6 of 23
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This may be closer to the truth than you realize .. Oh, and BTW .. I'm pretty sure DIRECTV has more than one person that works on this software. No reason they couldn't have been working on both of the two recent apps at the same time.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #7 of 23
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    Largest user base is pretty irrelevant. See this post.

8. Feb 1, 2010 #8 of 23
    Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    What does that post have to do with this discussion?

9. Feb 1, 2010 #9 of 23
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Beg to differ on this, but I will...the premise in that other post is based on outdated information.

I have been following this very closely since last year, and also met with the BB folks at CES on this very topic.

BlackBerry has released a major new toolkit (SDK), that they launched last year at their Developer's conference (2009). Here's a link to a good overview:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-application-development-getting-started

The issue was in the past, Blackberry did not "open up" many of their tools, and therefore, partners lacked competitive access to create new applications - in comparison, for example, to the iPhone model - whereby applications are coming out of the woodwork. They are also now much easier to create and cheaper to produce with the new tools.

Even small software shops are developing new applications for all Blackberry devices in exponentially greater numbers since 3Q last year when the BB toolkits were released. The number of 3rd party BB applications have significantly grown in the past 6 months.

So there is a new world order on Blackberry applications and their development, and there is really no such roadblock to get a Blackberry version of the DirecTV application out to the market.

Hopefully, this will lead to DirecTV being able to tell BB users "there's an app for that". ;):D

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    That post explains why there isn't a blackberry app.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ..and in defense of that position...it is not as easy an answer as for some other devices. BlackBerry does have alot of different OS situtations to deal with, more so than all the other mobile unit manufacturers. I can see both sides of this issue.

So its not a simple solution to launch a RIM-based application, but that said, perhaps some form of BB version launch might be faciliated somehow.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There, you said it :)

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup. No denying it.

Then again....there is always a key for every lock. :D

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...not it doesn't. That is simply one person's opinion.

15. ctaranto

ctaranto Legend

Feb 6, 2008
    A differing opinion. See this post and this post.

/c

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure we'll see a blackberry app at some point .. The problem is that while all of the other phones only had one "lock" seems blackberry might have 6 or 7 of them ;)

17. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I would love to be able to use the equivalent of the Droid or Palm Pre app at home, with a standard browser, in place of m.directv.com. Anyone know if there are plans to make a java-, javascript- or flash-based app that works like either of those two?

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree...actually its 8 locks. ;):lol:

19. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I know that Directv might be holding out for Microsoft's announcement at MWC on Windows Mobile 7 but there has been confirmation that the apps for WM6.5 will work on WM7 and there are apps that work on 6.5 that do work on 6.1; So i'm crossing my fingers that is the case and we should be seeing an app for Windows Mobile offered through the Marketplace.
    Speaking of Marketplace is there a reason why the Supercast is not available from Windows Marketplace ?

P.S
    Who wouldn't want to watch Supercast on this or use the Directvc app on this beautiful device

[​IMG]

20. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    That is a nice phone, but again you can go to m.directv.com on any windows mobile phone and D* calls it an app on the site so I'm not holding my breath on anything more. The problem with the m.directv site is that is pretty pathetic when compared to mobile banking sites, flickr, youtube... You tell it to remember you on the log in page, it doesn't. You have to click twice on the buttons to get it to do anything and that cross it puts on the button the first time you click it is really special and it runs slow. My whimpy T-Mobile Shadow 2009 loads pages fast on wifi. I've even complained before it's almost as fast as my desktop at work loading pages, but the m.Directv site is slowwww!!!