1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mrsamman, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Mrsamman

Mrsamman New Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I have an Hd DVR receiver and need to know what dish and equipment I need to get it working at my cabin.
    Thanks
    Scott

Ps I've had driectv for 15 yrs.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    call CSR and check

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  4. Mrsamman

Mrsamman New Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.
    At home I have four receivers and I have a really big dish, so I didn't know if I needed one that big for just one receiver. I'll check and see what model I have at home.
    Thanks
    Scott

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Picture of it and what your receivers had in setup about the dish and switch would help to understand what you have.

6. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The size of the dish is not related to the number of receivers, but rather to the number of satellites it is capable of seeing. For HD you need the Slimline dish, which is what you would have at home. If you can live with SD channels only, then you could use a 19" round dish at your cabin.

7. Oct 1, 2012 #7 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I wonder if he has the old AT9 sidecar dish?

8. Oct 1, 2012 #8 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The AT9 is only ~3% larger than the Slimline. The AT9 is 3" taller but 3" narrower.

Either way, there are only a couple of dishes used for CONUS DBS that are bigger.

The only way to get a smaller dish is to modify a smaller dish and install it yourself.

9. Oct 1, 2012 #9 of 12
    Mrsamman

Mrsamman New Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a slimline dish without SWM. My receiver is a HR24, I was thinking of ordering a slimline with SWM.
    Thanks
    Scott

10. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you plan to move this receiver back and forth between the two locations, you want to be the same at both places. It is sometimes difficult to get a receiver to switch from SWM to "multiswitch" mode.

Also, just to be on the safe side here, I should point out that your terms of service do not permit having receivers/service simultaneously at two locations under a single account. The general feeling is if nobody is using DirecTV at home while you are using it at the cabin, you are at least meeting the spirit of the rule. You would be in violation of your terms of service if it was being used at both locations at the same time.

11. Mrsamman

Mrsamman New Member

Sep 29, 2012
    This receiver will be used on the weekends when we are not at home. So I need a slimline without SWM. That means I have to run multiple line of RG6 to a switch and then to the receiver.
    Thanks
    Scott

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A switch is not needed. You can drive up to four tuners from a non-SWIM dish with a cable for each tuner.