1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which do you want DECA 2 or DECA 3?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Spanky_Partain, Aug 1, 2009.

Which do you want, DECA 2 or DECA 3?

1. DECA 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DECA 3

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 1, 2009 #1 of 24
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    A question has been raised on the inclusion of a up-link that is represented in the DECA 2 drawing, HD Receiver connected via CAT 5e cable to Network Port 2 of the HD DVR . Please vote and express your opinion if you like!

DECA 2
    Below is a typical Slimline LNB/SWM with a HD Receiver connected via CAT 5e cable to Network Port 2 of the HD DVR to establish an uplink into the DECA cloud.
    [​IMG]

DECA 3
    Below is a typical Slimline LNB/SWM creating an uplink into the DECA cloud.
    [​IMG]

EDIT
    The pictured equipment was changed to include a H21-200 instead of two HR21-200's.

2. Aug 1, 2009 #2 of 24
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    I chose DECA 2 since I have this setup in my configuration and have not had any issues with this configuration. I have had and reported an issue when Port 2 of a multi-port DVR was used as an up-link to the router, but not when a device was connected as an up link into the DECA cloud. The DHCP and DNS worked flawlessly, in my environment.

Keep in mind the keywords, My ENVIRONMENT! With that said, perhaps the DECA 3 would be the preferred documented drawing to use.

EDIT
    After thinking about this for a while, I think I prefer DECA 3 instead. That is how the instructinos are written in the DECA manual.

MOD(s)
    Please change my vote from DECA 2 to DECA 3!

As a side note, it sure is hard not to share this information when I give a lot of help in the networking piece of the forum(s)! I really do want to tell people to "Just wait...". :nono2:

3. Aug 1, 2009 #3 of 24
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Had to choose DECA 3

While I too am using the second port [but for my router] and haven't had ANY problems [other than the constant router lockup "during" software downloading and NOT installing/resetting, etc.], it is fairly clear at this point that DirecTV DOES NOT support anything off the second port [yet].

4. Aug 1, 2009 #4 of 24
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Interesting. Actually hadn't thought about that configuration until I just re-looked at your picture. :)

In your config-2 your using the 2nd RJ-45 to daisy chain / bridge in other receivers. Interesting.

In the other thread, I was referring to the First Look which has a picture of using the 2nd RJ-45 to eliminate the standalone "network" DECA (which is unsupported). Thought your picture was just a prettier version of that, but you're actually using that 2nd RJ-45 for a different purpose. :)

5. Aug 1, 2009 #5 of 24
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    It does give an additional receiver into the cloud via the switch bridge mode, but it has not been claimed to be supported. It is probably better to not document it as a supportable option. However, it will be displayed in my setup and I can certainly post it as a possible configuration to others to try in their environment!

6. Aug 1, 2009 #6 of 24
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep. I had just updated my previous post to clarify ...

In the First Look thread, I was referring to the First Look document which has a picture of using the 2nd RJ-45 to eliminate the standalone "network" DECA (which is unsupported). Thought your picture was just a prettier version of that, but you're actually using that 2nd RJ-45 for a different purpose. :)

7. Aug 1, 2009 #7 of 24
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Vote DECA 3...seems more commonplace in terms of configuration.

8. Aug 1, 2009 #8 of 24
    jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    DECA 3

9. Aug 1, 2009 #9 of 24
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I asked this question back in the 1st look thread, I think we should try to get DirecTV to say if using port 2 for a passthru will be supported or not. Not getting any word if supported maybe include it but with the warning that it's an unsupported configuration, use at your own risk.

10. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    I agree on needing that information from Big Daddy, but we can certainly go with the supported drawing/first look stuff and then add our own sticks to the fire during the flood of questions! ;)

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    That's going to be an understatement......:lol:

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Even if unsupported I figure putting it out with the warnings might head off all the 'look what I did posts' from folks that figure it out on their own.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm wanting to stick with my unsupported setup.
    "For me" it seems to be a better "layered" network.
    DSL to:
    Router - [through] receiver to cloud.
    Router to Giga bit switch to PCs.
    All PCs transfer at their full speed.
    All receivers are in the cloud.
    Router handles the traffic between the two and any outside needs.

14. DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino Godfather

Nov 17, 2005
    Had to go with 3 as that is my setup. I have not had any issues with the DECA cloud at all. I just wish that power was available to the DECA from the H23-600.

15. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I am using the second port off of my HR-21 as the uplink for my Slingbox.

16. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    I think we pretty much have this one decided folks.

We can close this Poll down!

Thanks everyone! :)

17. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I've sort of got DECA 3 except that there is a switch involved and I use a DVR to power the internet connection DECA, don't use the PI.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Just out of curiosity....do you have Yellow/Orange LEDs on any of your 4 DECA units?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to research if there is any correlation between various network configurations and those getting the Yellow/Orange colored C.Link LEDs...

19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    :lol:
    Yep, I've got the same kit as everyone else.
    Only things notable in my setup are that the filter is immediately between the SWM8 & the 4-way splitter, and the PI is about 50' away from the power-passing port and just in front of another splitter that supplies the HR22-100 DECA and the internet connection DECA (powered by the LR HR20-700) per my setup diagram in that thread.
    Oh, and also have a HAVA connected to the HR22-100 port2 and a Slingbox connected the the HR23-700 port 2 (WGA600N-connected DVR).

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

Your setup and mine are very similar....with the only exception being the conneciton point for the Slingbox....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.