1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HRxx do you think I'd get.......

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bnwrx, May 12, 2012.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I've got an offer for a free HD DVR upgrade. (Loyal customer offer). I would replace an HR20-700 currently in use so it would not be an additional HR. Just wondering what model I might get if I order this on DTV website. I know there is no way to specify, but curious to hear what the Forum might think is in the supply right now. HR20, HR21, HR22,HR24?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    HR20.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just a trick to get you into another 2 year commitment. Keep the HR20 you have. Its the second fastest box they have.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Agreed. Or...Get your account noted that you will get a $150-200 credit when you activate a HR24 obtained via a 3rd party.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its the luck of the draw when you bite on that offer. I used that offer as a way to leverage getting a free HR34. So if your interested in that, you might give them a call. Although in my case, it took going to retention to get it and it all started with an HR22 that had gone bad.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Unless under the remote possibly you are interested in eventually upgrading the TV connected to this DVR to a 3D capable one, then you would need one of the higher model numbers.

As you wish to keep all your previously recorded shows at that point and not be bothered with a swap out.

7. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Thanks all! I was maybe hoping that there were enough HR24's out there now that it would be the one I would get. I may try the "Bill Credit" approach and order from 3rd party. Would prefer the slightly larger HD these later models have...

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    In some markets they are;

In fact there have been some field techs. on the forum here whom have posted as to not seeing anything less than HR24s HD-DVRs in their area's inventories for months now.

Yet for me personally, here in the L.A. market and just a proverbial "stone's throw" away from DIRECTV's main El Segundo headquarters and their satellite teleport, the "LABC." Every time I took one of those free HD-DVR upgrade offers I always got a refurb'ed HR22-100. :rolleyes:

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When you just "upgrade" to swap a DVR, doesnt DirecTv just mail them to you? That would make what the tech's have in the field irrelevant.

10. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I agree. We've got a couple of HR20-700's here that are still chugging along quite well. When the time comes that they need replacement, we'll pick up HR24's from Solid Signal or the like, rather than take what DirecTV decides to send.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You might consider just plugging in a 1.5 or 2TB external drive into the eSATA port on the back. If you get a 7200 rpm drive with a large cache, it will not only expand your storage greatly, but will also speed up some disk intensive tasks, making your DVR appear a bit faster.

I know there are those that argue a 7200 rpm drive is overkill, but that is for streaming video. Its the background stuff I have found seems to cause unresponsiveness, which was improved with my drive upgrades. YMMV.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh, did I make a wrong assumption from the mere use of the term "warehouse?"

I hear field D* tech.s say they stock their trucks with whatever receivers are available in the local "warehouses." And I thought its usually the same warehouse facilities which drop-ship equipment to customers as well.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Every DVR I have gotten from DirecTv has not been sent from my "local" warehouse, so I have no idea what my local techs have on their trucks. I just know of myself, and the three people who have "upgraded", all have either gotten the same exact box they already had, or an HR21 in the case of the person "upgrading" for 3D capability.

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I think the answer is this...

You will get whatever is at the top of the pile no matter where it comes from. :)