1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is better? a single 6x16 multiswitch or three 6x8 multiswtiches?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kathymoore, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    which is better? a single 6x16 multiswitch or three 6x8 multiswtiches?

(both solution provide 16 outputs)

when the installer came to my house, he only had one 6x16 multiswitch which
    turned out to be defective.(two dead ports)

His solution was to take three 6x8 multiswitches and cascade them. It works,
    but the result is a bit mess or cables that resemble a large spider crab in my
    basement.

He said I can call DirecTV and get a 6x16 switch... should I even bother?

Thanks! :)

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The WB616 6x16 would be better. For one less connections and the big plus to it is that the WB616 is powered and the setup you have now is not. With that many outputs having a powered setup would be better.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If you go with 3 WB68's, I think that would be to many possible point of failure to contend with. I agree w/ Bmore...run w/ the WB616.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Order of preference:

6x16
    2 6x8s using 4 (or 5 or 6) power passing splitters
    2 6x8s cascaded off a third

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you cascade non powered multiswitches, you are asking for problems.

Buy four hi frequency dual port power passing splitters and run two of those WB68's in parallel. Sell the third and buy a Sonora (or trade it for a Sonora) power inserter and put that between the dish and the splitters. You'll be very good to go.

Carl

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You should NEVER cascade a WB68 from another WB68. The manufacturer specifically says that they are not reliably cascadable because as carl6 says they are unpowered, and you can't guarantee that the power required to power the LNBs, and to make sure the correct satellite signal is sent to the receiver, will actually get to the dish.

7. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Carl has your answer, and here's a picture for you of exactly what that looks like.

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I let the tech put the switches up... I explicitly explained to him, and his supervisor (so the kid was green, he actually did a damn good job), that they needed to use 4 power passing splitters to connect the receivers. They shook my hand, got everything I requested done.

When they left, I climbed up, and now Im gonna have to take a trip down to radioshack so I can buy some power passing splitters and make another 4 jumpers.
    SolidSignal is holding my WB616 hostage...

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    A few points:

You can't cascade 68s. You will loose signal after the first one for HDs.
    It is better to use 4 PP splitters then a 616. The PP splitters only loose .5 dB while the switch looses up to 4 dB.

10. LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy Mentor

Sep 11, 2007
    Coastal...
    But, if you use the splitters do you not have to put a polarity locker before them? I think that is the point Carl6 made about the power inserter. Wouldn't two 68s going back to the dish through splitters create a conflict?

Thanks

11. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    after several phone calls with the DirecTV and their local contractor,
    I'm still unable to get a 6x16 switch. The local contractor told me that
    the have never used one. (?) A supervisor from DirecTV called
    me back and said it's perfectly okay to cascade the 6x8 multiswitches.

all of my HD DVRs and SD DVRs are working fine for now....

any suggestions? DirecTV did say they'll give me $10 credit for
    12 months if I want to buy my own 6x16 multiswitch...

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you can get $10 off for 12 months, then this seems to be a way to go: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=WB616

"multiple" multi-switches isn't that common, so it wouldn't surprise me an installer [or boss] wouldn't have used them.
    Here is the option Carl6 posted which would do the same thing: http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/Sheet_HRPID1422_11.pdf

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1) where are they going to go? WB68s have worked cascaded off each other.
    2) While ".5 dB" may be the insertion loss, there is still the 3 dB power loss due to splitting. Using either will have the same power loss.

Now for using a WB68 to feed two other WB68s, splitter are better simply because they have less change of failure [as they don't "switch"].

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island

I would do exactly what Carl suggested and then take DirecTV up on their offer of $120 credit. The Sonora Power Inserter is only $45 at Solid Signal (although it is currently on backorder) and power passing splitters are a few dollars each. The combination of the Sonora and the two WB68's that you already have will work identically to a WB616 and you'll end up with about $65 in your pocket for the effort.

15. Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    I have NO idea what a power inserter(PI) does or does NOT do. If this helps Ebay has a bunch of PI's but NOT a single one is a Sonora brand.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Check the link in post 7 of this thread. And go with the Sonora. I have no idea what is on ebay.

The purpose of the power inserter/phase locker is to power the dish, and place the proper voltage and tone on each of the four lines between the dish and the multiswitch. You really want that, and with the WB68 being non-powered (requiring the power from the receiver to go through the multiswitch to the dish) you are just a whole lot better off using the Sonora.

Carl

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006

Yes, cascaded WB68s have worked but Zinwell says not to cascade them because of the likelihood of power/signalling issues at the LNBs. The longer the cable run the more likely you are to have problems.

18. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    what kind of "problems" can occur? I'm getting 95 or better on all satellites,
    even on the DVR that's the farthest away from the dish/multiswitch. (appx
    220 feet away in the basement) Or will cascading the WB68 kill the LNB
    or DVR? I have the protection plan, so should I really spend the $120 credit
    that DTV gave me and buy a 6x16 multiswitch?

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.