1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which output is best viewed on HDTV...

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by PatentBoy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. PatentBoy

PatentBoy Legend

Feb 14, 2007
    1 - Component; or
    2 - S-Video

I have a DVD player which has a component output and I currently am using the S-Video. To switch to component would require a lot of "rearranging" in my A/V closet and before I make the lead I was wondering if anyone had any comments regarding the better of the above two choices.

The signal will be going into a high-end HD plasma panel which has good electronics.

For purposes here:
    COMPONENT VIDEO OUT (Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr): Photo jack/Y: 1.0 Vp-p/Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr: 0.648 Vp-p/75 ohms.

S VIDEO OUTPUT 1/2: 4-pin mini DIN/Y: 1.0 Vp-p/C: 0.286 Vp-p /75 ohms.

Thanks in advance.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Component would give you the "best" picture from a SD source, followed by S-Video, then composite, lastly RF.

3. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Don't forget to run an additional cable for audio if you use component cable.

4. PatentBoy

PatentBoy Legend

Feb 14, 2007
    Thanks for your input.

5. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yep.. what he said. HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite and RF... in that order from best video to worst.

6. northrk

northrk Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    Once you go component, dont forget to set your DVD player to output 480p or progressive. If it is an upscaling DVD consult your manual. Also set it to 16:9 tv.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Here's the biggest benefit to going component over S-Video or Composite:

Component can output "anamorphic"=encoded DVDs in widescreen, just like an HD device can, so widescreen DVDs that are properly encoded will fill the screen better and be higher resolution than if you used S-Video and then had to zoom the picture with your TV.

Component can also display with progressive scan, which means the DVD player can de-interlace internally, which sometimes gives you a better picture, depending on the quality of the deinterlacer in the TV vs. the DVD player.