1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which package is better for me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RxMan1, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RxMan1

RxMan1 Godfather

Jun 1, 2005
    Right now, I have the Premier package with HD, etc.. Basically, I have everything. I have noticed that the family doesn't watch many channels in the 600 range. I guess the sports channels. We do watch lots of movies etc. Is there a way to save some money on my bill and keep HBO, Showtime, etc and drop Golf Channel and Fox Sports and the like?

2. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Your choice of Starz or Showtime is in included Total Choice Plus, or whatever it's called now.

3. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    When did DTV start this? I guess that's why they don't mind giving away 6 months free of either package.

4. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    It was offered to me when I subscribed back in January.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Not with DirecTV. You'll pay more for the Plus package and premium movie channels than you do for Premier. Premier is essentially the Plus package with the addition of the four movie plexes and the sports package.

Of course it is possible to subscribe to the $41 worth of movie plexes on top of any package if you're willing to lose some other non-premium channels. For that, you'll need to tell us more about what you can't live without.

6. Mrpalmer420

Mrpalmer420 Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    Be careful i think it is free but only for a limited time. like the post above says i think it is 6 months.

If not they better give it to me damnit.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Plus does not include any premium channels. You were offered a promotional deal. There's a lot of that going on. The current promo is $10/month off the package price for the first year and HBO+Skinamax for three months (after which you will be billed $23 or so automatically).

8. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Really? The CSR didn't mention that to me (there's a shock), i'll have to look into that.

Edit: It's a 12 month promotion.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I have Premier as well with HD.

I've done the math and if all you'd want to drop is the Sports pack you aren't saving anything.

Just add it up yourself.

Plus HD (includes HD Access and DVR fee)- $69.99 (lets say $70)
    HBO - $13
    Showtime - $11
    Starz - $10
    Cinemax - $8

Total - $112

Compared to Premier (includes DVR fee) - $99.99 (let's say $100)
    HD Access Fee - $10

Total - $110

So actually, it's $2 bucks cheaper to get the sports pack you don't use and just get Premier.

You would save a couple bucks if you drop a premium. I've thought about dropping sports pack and one movie pack (say Showtme) but I'd only save $6 off what Premier costs so for that I'll just stick with Premier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.