1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which pi for deca? installer called

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by njfoses, May 26, 2010.

1. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    My mrv install is scheduled for today and the installer just called to inform me they do not have the broadband deca which i figured would happen. I explained to him to just use a regular deca with a pi which he insists will not work. His boss is telling him they do not have the proper power supply. Will either a pi-21 or pi-29 work as the deca power supply? Thanks.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Should be the PS18. If not available, he can use the PI-21. The PI-29 is too much for a deca though.

3. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    Thanks.

4. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I would point out that the 5/12 Technical Bulletin (http://forums.directv.com/pe/RepositoryFileDownloadServlet/10690708/TB Issue 9 2010-051210.pdf) says,
    If I have a bad power supply or run out of power supplies, is there any other way to power the DECA?
    If you are short on power supplies for the DECA, a 29V SWiM power supply can be used to power the DECA. Always remember, all broadband DECAs (the one by the networking modem or router) require a power supply.

Now, it's obvious almost no one is reading this, so I guess it doesn't matter whether it's right or not. ;)

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I know what it says. Expect to see higher failure rates of decas if you go with a 29v power supply instead of the 18v one.

They get hot enough as is with receiver/18v power, now add another 11v to it.

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    It looks like an (uncorrected) misprint to me... aren't installers a lot more likely to have 21v PI-21s for SWM LNBs with them than power supplies for SWM8/16?

But it's an example of documentation that predates the rollout that clearly conflicts with what installers are saying/doing (proving your point that they won't read it).

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Not sure to be honest. As with any roll out of this magnatude, things evolve rather quickly.

But yes, typically, the installer should have more PS18s and PI21s than PI28/29s. I'd still try to avoid using a pi29 if I can.