1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which receiver should I keep?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spartanstew, Jul 19, 2010.

1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I have an HR20-700 that I've had for a few years that works great. I've recently aquired an HR22-100, that also seems to work great. The HR22-100 is newer (less than a year old) vs the HR20-700 (4 years old??).

I need to deactivate one and was thinking of deactivating the HR20-700, mainly because it's in the theater and it's the only non-black component that I have plus the fact that it's 4 years old.

However, is one better than the other in some other capacity I'm not thinking about?

(PS. I have no use for OTA).

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well... a lot of folks will tell you the HR22 is dog slow. Some (ok, one) will tell you that anything "-100" is a no go.

I think you should keep the newer one because realistically these hard drives don't last forever. Also the HR22 has more capacity and runs cooler.

Is it slower? Yeah probably, but do you watch TV or menus? It's not slow enough to make it unusable. It's just not wham-bam fast.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR22/100. It's not as fast as the HR24 but tolerable.

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I had forgotten about the extra capacity. That helps a lot.

This receiver will be in the theater and will mainly be used for back-up or the extra tuners (via MRV) and the occasional sporting event to watch on the big screen, so I don't anticipate using the menu or guide very often.

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you own them, swap the drives then you get the better receiver with the newer drive. Or better yet while you are in there, just pop a 2TB in the HR20 and have the best of both worlds!

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Both leased.

7. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I have a HR22. It's slower than the HR24 I have and that's why it's not my main DVR. But I don't find it so slow as to be an annoyance.

Then there is the increased disk space which has been mentioned.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Dang. I would recommend keeping the HR20 then. Sure it is older, but IMHO better at the same time. You will be able to ride the HR20 train for quite a while since they will keep sending you OTA capable receivers, but if the HR22 dies, you could get stuck with an HR21 :p The only downside I see is the smaller capacity hard drive.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    For the $5 fee I'd keep both active. :)

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Thought of that, but i just dont need 5 dvrs. :)

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Not only HDDs, but power supplies as well.

One of the big HDD manufacturers did a study and found that HDDs, should they make it through the first 2 years, die at a rate of 8% a year compounded. So a 2-year old HDD has an 8% chance of failing within the next year, a 3-yr old 16%, a 4-yr old 24%, etc. My personal experience with HDDs in DVRs is much more variable than that; I've had them go at 2 years and I had an original Tivo that the HDD is still good in which I used to use every day to watch The Daily Show at work during my lunch break. It lasted 11 years before it just stopped working (yet the HDD still seems to be OK).

Other than the PS factor (which you can't get around) the HDD factor is something that you can get around. There is a practical scenario of putting a new 2TB drive for about $140 into a 4-year-old HR20 and having the best of both worlds, a new, much bigger HDD in a faster, more reliable DVR (compared to the 22). Or, wait until the HDD in the HR20 dies, and replace it even cheaper. I think I would be tempted by the opportunity to expand storage in the HR20 before settling for the 22; just be sure to do a visual check of the PS caps when you finally replace that HDD.

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I faced the same question with my HR20-700 and HR21-700. The HR20 was faster, but I decided to keep the HR21 since it was quieter and would be located in the bedroom. When I called to deactivate my leased HR20, the csr said it showed as owned on my account and I didn't need to return it so now I have a spare.

13. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm sure you read that, but it would certainly be an abnormal reliability function. The linear progression in failure rate is unlikely. The usual reliability function looks like a bathtub, and is called the "bathtub curve" by reliability engineers. This is because of the shape of a plot of expected failure rate vs time. There is an early relatively high rate of failures (infant mortality) which falls rapidly to a fairly constant rate of failure which persists until end of life wear out when the failure rate climbs exponentially.

The trick is the time line. "infancy" and "end of life" times are variable for each product you're looking at. I've always been astounded by how long the typical hard drive does last.

14. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    The HR20 would be my choice since it is slightly faster and also incoporates an HD OTA Tuner Dual tuner; where the HR22 would need the addition of an AM21 module to accomplish the same capabilities.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    But he said he had no use for OTA...

16. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    That has not been my experience. I had to argue a free AM21 out of retention because they absolutely could not or would not guarantee what model receiver I would get as a replacement.

17. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Everyone would have a use for OTA if they did a comparison of picture quality between OTA locals and satellite locals.

18. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    If you ever get a 3D TV, the HR22 would be compatible, the HR20 would not.

I would probably keep the HR22 because it is newer, runs cooler, and probably quieter.

19. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ding. Didn't think of that either. I have three 3D displays currently.

20. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    The only way I could get OTA HD is if someone would blast a hole in the Spring Mountain range. (And then I'd need a monster antenna to get signals from Las Vegas.)