1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which satellite is ESPN 2 SD on?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jutley, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    I'm sure this answer is on here somewhere but I'm struggling to find it with a search...

I'm going to do some tailgating with an 18" round dish and a R16-300. Which satellite is ESPN 2 on? Is it on 103?

I know I will have to reset the R16 from SWM mode to use it with the 18" round dish, but is there anything else tricky to this setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Since you are going to be getting SD signals it will be on the 101.

Since this was hooked up to SWM you will have to go thru the Satellite Setup.
    I have not done this but I have read several times that the dish selection will not stay put. You have to go to the Multi switch setting first and choose it, then choose the 18" round dish.
    Also, since you probably will only use one cable, set the Tuner to 1 in the satellite set up. Be sure to connect the one cable to the Sat In 1 connection.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    ALL SD channels are on the 101 satellites, with the exception of some local channels (Smaller markets), and international programming.

4. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    You might find this thread helpful. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=206618

5. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    Thank you all!

6. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    This USED to be true. Now they are moving some SD only channels onto the MPEG-4 sats, too. BabyFirst TV comes to mind.

7. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    Is it possible to receive an HD channel on the 18" round dish with an HR20 if it is looking at the correct bird?

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I guess its more precise to say virtually all SD channels are on the 101 group of satellites in MPEG 2 compression format.

Locals for some smaller markets, Spanish programming (save for two in MPEG 4 HD), some international programming, and the English JLTV, Hope, and NOW channels are carried in SD MPEG 2 on 119.

And some SD channels, both local and CONUS, are in MPEG 4 format on the 99 and 103 Ka band satellite groups.

9. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    All the HD channels are currently broadcast on the Ka band, so theoretically, IF you had the right kind of LNB, then yes, you could receive HD with a 20" round reflector, but only from a single satellite at a time.

If you are talking about the LNB that shipped with the 18" round dishes, then no, you can't recieve HD that way.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    With the exception of Spanish MEGA HD (405), and TFTwHD (408) which are on 119 Ku band Tp. 24.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont hink this would be possible, given that if the dish only has a single LNB, it must point to the 101 FIRST to boot up and acquire gude data. then it must be move to the one of the Ka band satellites but the problem would be that there is no data in the receiver to tune to any of those channels.

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It wouldn't be possible but not for the reason you gave. Because of the physical and electronic differences between the Ku and the Ka band LNBs, one single LNB cannot receive signal from both. If it is a Ku LNB, it won't receive MPEG4 transponders, so you won't see HD. If it is a Ka LNB, it won't receive authorizations, guide and time/date signals from the 101 or 119 satellites as well as the MPEG2 SD channels.

A better HD tailgate solution is to put a Slimline 3 LNB on a 18x20 dish. It wouldn't be the best solution, but if you search the forums here you'll find a thread on someone who got it to work... more or less.

13. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    Great info! Thanks again for all of the help!

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    ... and 30+ Sonic Tap channels.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is the frequent lament of the RVer. It comes down mostly to the frequencies being so different. The electronics could be handled through new switchgear but a single horn that tunes multiple bands would be quite a feat to mass produce.

If it were feasible, they wouldn't be mounting Slimline dishes on RVs.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It's not just frequency band difference, but location as well. Even with a multi-band Ka/Ku horn for a single satellite slot, it wouldn't help since system info., receiver authorizations, guide info. FW updates, etc. come from transponders at 101 Ku, with some of that data (chiefly guide info.) mirrored on 119 Ku. This then must be received *concurrently* with any selected HD programming from 99 and 103 Ka.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't think this is possible? Because of the frequency difference, it seems likely that the antennas inside the horn must be different for each band. As I said, a new stack plan would be in order and the WB68 plan demonstrated that slots can be mixed.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm saying even if it were possible its irrelevant since the Ka and Ku birds are at different orbital locations.

Again the design requirements of a Ka/Ku combo horn for a single satellite slot is not relevant here since the Ka and Ku satellites are at different orbital locations anyhow.

That is unless DIRECTV is planning on broadcasting on Ka band from 101W, 110W or 119W in the future or something.