1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Sats for the HD Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cmalberto, Nov 11, 2008.

1. cmalberto

cmalberto AllStar

Jun 15, 2007
    I am curious which Satellites are used for which HD channels.

First of all, my sat is not lined up quite correctly since Hurricane Ike struck. I thought I had adjusted it but now I am sure I am still off a little. This is our first real rain storm in the last 2 months and I can't pick up any of the HD channels right now. It really isn't raining that hard either. The SD channels that are coming in via 101 are fine. I have about a 75 signal. Here are what they all look like.

101 - 78
    110 - 75
    119 - 80
    99a - 30
    99b - 0
    103a - 0
    103b - 40

Every now and then I can get the HD Locals(Houston) off the spot sat(which ever that is). I can't get ESPN HD at all right now so I am guessing that is coming from one of the birds that is showing 0-30. I was getting USA HD ok when I checked so that may even be another sat as well.

I realize my problem lies with a tweak or two on the sat but that just made more curious than ever as to which sats were which channels.

Any help can provide will be most appreciated.

--Mickey

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    99 and 103 are the Ka-band satellites that carry the HD programming. Ka-band frequencies require about 10 times more aiming accuracy than the Ku-band signals from the SD satellites, so with minor dish misalignments, Ka-band signals are lost much faster.

You definitely need your dish realigned. You should have TPs on all of those sats that are in the high 80s to low 90s at least.

3. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007