1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which service is better, DirecTV or DISH?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Signaltap2, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 2, 2007 #1 of 60
    Signaltap2

Signaltap2 New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I have one HDTV and a standard definition one.

Currently, I'm with Comcast here in the Boston, MA.

who's got the best signal and drop off the least. because, I used to have DISH 2 years ago (Miami,FL) and the signal there was around 117!! I have read around here, people have very poor signal numbers.

my last 3 bills(with Comcast) with them: $195, $167 and $178, thats with no movies bought or premium channels and with internet (which I'm willing to keep). thats way too much money! Please help! what are my options?:)

2. Feb 2, 2007 #2 of 60
    wlambert38

wlambert38 Cool Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I switched from Comcast to Dish because of the DVR. The VIP622 offered by Dish is a very solid, stable DVR, although no DVR is completely trouble free. In contrast, Directv's HR20 DVR has recieved very "mixed" reviews from subscribers. If you are interested in a reliable, dual tuner HD DVR, Dish currently has the best product on the market IMO. In terms of PQ, I have been very satisfied with Dish, although Comcast also offers excellent PQ in Boston. Depending on the package, Dish seems to be about 25% less costly than Comcast.

3. Feb 2, 2007 #3 of 60
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Enjoy that dual tuner DISH DVR while you can. Once TIVO gets their injunction as a result of their winning their patent infringement suit against DISH, most of DISH's DVRs will be shut down.

Charlie deserves it, too. No CEO has so blatantly and willfully violated the law as much as that guy has.

4. Feb 2, 2007 #4 of 60
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As stated numerous times before, there is no way that E* will turn off a single DVR because of the TiVo lawsuit. Keeping DVR servise is too important to E*.

Please check and use the TiVo threads for further information on that topic.

5. Feb 2, 2007 #5 of 60
    Mr.Pinkeye

Mr.Pinkeye Cool Member

Nov 10, 2006
    One thing to keep in mind is that for the Northeast you will need two dishes with Dish Network to get all the HD channels.

Directv you only need one dish (albiet, a fairly big one. )

This is matters to some, not much for others. My wife cares about this sort of thing. :grin:

6. Feb 2, 2007 #6 of 60
    kdwebsol

kdwebsol Legend

Jan 29, 2006
    Also if sports are important to you then D* might be a better choice. E* does not offer NESN HD or Fox NE in HD. It looks like it will be a very long time before they are offered.

That is my only real complaint about E*. Everything else if great including the 622.

Ken

7. Feb 2, 2007 #7 of 60
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    And there's "no way" DISH would shut off its DNS channels, too. The DNS feeds were "too important" to them. :rolleyes:

8. Feb 2, 2007 #8 of 60
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I never said that. I said that E* would survive the disconnect of distants. And they have. :)

9. Feb 2, 2007 #9 of 60
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    If you are legally entiteled to DNS service you can still receive them on E* systems through the 3rd party service. I'm sure they have similar plans in place in case they do ultimately lose the Tivo patent battle, probably some functionality would be lost, and possibly a licensing agreement in the long run.

As for no CEO blatenly violating the law as much as Charlie, I'll have to take issue with that and ask that you do a couple of quick searches on names like Enron, Tyco, the 80s S&L scandles etc. There are a LOT of CEOs that have inflicted a LOT more harm on a LOT more people than Charlie has ever come close to - we are just talking about television here after all.

10. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Someone else who is completely uninformed! :rolleyes:
    Dish DVR's will not be shut off, nice try though!

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I never said you said that.

And they'll survive the shutdown of their illegal DVRs if it comes to that.

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Those other CEO scumbags at least had the "brains" to do things more covertly than Charlie. Ergen flaunts the law and thumbs his nose at federal regulations every way he can. Hell, he's even tried to do same to a federal judge.

13. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'm more informed than you are, son. Who really knows if DISH's DVRs will be forced to be shut down. Should they? Yes, definitely--the ones that are infringements of TIVO's patents, that is. A settlement may very well prevent this, but I believe the best thing that could happen would be for DISH to be forced to shut them down.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nice to see what side of the issue you are on ... rooting for people to lose DVR service. :nono2:

Bottom line ... E* will not be losing DVR service. Count on it. Anyone who says E* will be disabling DVRs is just spreading bad information.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'm rooting for companies' CEOs to follow the law and for their competitors to come out ahead. I have NO sympathy for such scumbags. If people lose their DVR service, it's no one's fault but Charlie's.

16. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    These folks with the "brains" to do things more covertly have cost 10s if not 100s of thousands of people their jobs, savings, marriages, homes, and a small percentage their lives (suicide, heart-attack, mental breakdowns). How that can be compared to infringing on a patent for a DVR or providing Distants to some people who didn't qualify for them? How about the countless number of them that have never been caught, are they better than Charlie because they've had even more "brains" to get away with it???

I understand the point you are trying to make, but IMO if you really wanted the supposedly injured parties in this issue to be compensated you would be rooting for a financial reward and licensing deal with TIVO, not the loss of DVR functionality to 1000s of E* subs. You seem to be more out for revenge, which makes me question how you have been injured by E* business practices? A monopoly on the technology would (will) only drive up the cost of service for everyone.

17. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005

What if E* really did develop their own technology at the same time that Tivo worked on theirs but just didn't get it to the patent office before them and don't have enough proof to pursuad the patent office or a jury (if a judge even allows them to present the information to the jury)? Is that still no one's fault but Charlie's because he's tried to fight for what he believes is fair instead of paying someone else for something he spent the money to develop? I suppose you will chalk it up to a simple twist of fate that he should just lay down for and pass along higher costs to his subs??

I doubt any of us have enough facts and information to be judge, jury and executioner.

18. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    But apperenty "the lord" does! :rolleyes:

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Only Lord Vader ... not anyone with any final say in the matter. :)

20. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    hahahahaha, oh wait, you think your serious!! :rolleyes:
    Even before the court ruled, Dish was already working on a "fix" so that ALL dish DVR's do not conflict with the "supposed" patent infringement, though we all know that Dish really didn't do anything wrong. If they did, then Tivo would have had the case heard in any court in the land instead of choosing the one in east Texas which routinely rules in favor of the plaintiffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.