1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which service is easier to receive a signal from- Direct or Dish?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by newz54, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newz54

newz54 Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I currently have an oval direct dish that gives me mediocre signal strength. I get low 70's , high 60's on both 101 and 109 birds. I am thinking about moving to Dish when I go high def but an worried about my signal strength? I am in the west coast so my dish pointing is very shallow...low trees can easily get in its way. Is Dish easier or harder to receive compared to Direct? I don't want to mess with new service if it is going to have poor reliability.
    :)

2. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Contact a local installer to do a site survey that's your only way of finding out.
    Also have a installer tweak and peak the dish you have it's sounds like it's out
    of alignment.Also Welcome to the Forum! Good Luck!.

3. mailiang

mailiang Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    Springsteen...
    For more info I would check out the rain fade thread on the general DTV discussion forum.;) I switched from Dish to Direct recently and my signal levels are pretty close to what they use to be.

Ian

4. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    DTV has a HIGHER elevation degree seting than dish. Dish is about 7 degress lower. so if trees may be a prob.. then NO to dish. Personally D-nets' stacked LNB ombined with a 322 is the worst developement in DBS since inception IMO. (that 322 or the likes is a hicup waiting to happen.)

Your signal reading on your current dish says you need a technician to allign your dish properly.. You should NEVER see such reading that low.

5. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    B TW i see ya posted this twice in here ( signal reading about the same).

That does make much sence when a d-net sig meter goes to 125 and a dtv meter goes to 100. .. Your not getting the same signal strngth UNLESS youve done a ratio caculation. There is no way. Ie 98% on DTV is not the same as 98% on d-net by anychance. 98% on d-net is far LESS sig strgnth for the fact that 98% of 125 total IS NOT 98% of 100 as on DTV.

Run a caculator then you'll see the diff.
    BTW to me 125% of anything is NOT possible any way.. lol

Personally from 12 yrs of installing ALL dihes known to the United states D-net has a far greater falibility ratio and the signal loss is greater per D-net. The actually dish manufactoring is one culprit in this . That plastic yoke extension and the weight of the LNB acts like the fulcrum in Physics. In otherwards a d-net dish is no where near as stable and will dance like a fish out of water in a storm. D-net's weight distrubution is way wrong due to the additon of the LNB and its weight. You can play it like a banjo and it will dance for ya. DTv basic dishes WILL NOT do this due to simple weight distrubution and physics.

6. mailiang

mailiang Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    Springsteen...

I could never understand why Dish uses a signal meter that goes to 120.:scratch: I did consider the difference in readings. Most of my readings now are in the high 80's and 90's. With Dish they were in the 80's 90's and quite a few in the 110's and even a couple at 120. I was also using two birds now only one. I rarely lost signal with Dish unless there was a thunderstorm and it usually recovered pretty quickly. I am currently using the DTV multi dish due to the fact I have 4 TV's and 2 DVR's. I've had D for less then a month and it seems that it takes longer to recover from rain fade then E, but weather wise it has been a pretty volatile summer. I'll just have to wait and see.

Ian

7. newz54

newz54 Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. With the new hr20 dvr now being released for So Cal....maybe I will stick with Direct. A larger dish might be an option to help my signal strength.

8. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    those sig #'s Mean you need a tweak/adjustment if you have nothing in the way of the LOS(line of site).= trees ect.

Find you a LOCAL technician to come by with a meter. If ya call DTV and ya dont have their farce of a warrenty . then Dtv will charge you 70$ min.

Get a private guy on the side. Stop one on the road when ya see him. He'll come by and do it for less i guarentee it.

I do it all the time. (wink).. WHEN he's there have the tv on the sig meter to varify he's done what ya wanted also.

Heck you could prob do it. ALL it takes is a 7/16 open end wrench.. period.

Get one person watching the meter and one @ the dish location.

The way to tell is BEFORE you loosen ANYthing with a wrench. IS> slightly take your finger and pull back on the round reflector. If the meter goes up. Then ya know you nned to adjust upwards in elevation (2 nuts on each side of dish where the "little Number marks" are). If a slight pull back doesnt make it rise (sig).. then push slightly forward. then left/ right. Which ever direction makes that meter rise is simply the way you need to go with it. THEN take the wrench and loosen the nuts slightly (enough to move) and make your adjustment .. tighten.. BAm.. YOU WON!:lol:

9. gundyrat

gundyrat Cool Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I had that same problem with low signal strength I cured it by triming a few trees on my neighbors property.

She never mows or does anything anyway its like a jungle over there.

She confronted me and I confessed she then thanked me for the trimming
    my signal is low 90's now.

a week later the county came and mowed a wide path across here portion of the Dike claiming it was a fire hazard and in the process cleaned up all the trimmings I left laying on the ground.

As for the adjustment the Flashing light on the Sony Dishes really saves a lot of running back anf forth I dont know why other companies didnt also include a signal finder light on there pickups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.