1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which size?

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by ron mexico75, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I've decided on the Panasonic ST60. Sitting about 9 feet away and mounting over the mantle. I thought I had my mind set on the 55" but now I'm thinking maybe that's overkill and I should go 50". Opinions?

Here is a pic from my viewpoint;

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1371168973.908240.jpg

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    70". There is no overkill and 50 is to small.

3. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh and if you have the room don't mount it over your mantel. It may look good for seeing it over the fireplace but for viewing actual tv, over a fireplace generally is one of the worst places to put a tv. Unless. You like looking up at an angle all the time.

4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah I know. Have never wanted to do it. However, in this new house, it's the ONLY place to do it in order for our furniture, and computer desk to fit. It was my last choice but no other way will work.

Ther is such a price difference in the 50 and 55. I had the 55 saved to my wish list on amazon for weeks at $1300 with free shipping. I went and checked it today and its $1700 with $40 shipping! Seems amazon sold out and now it's supplied through a actual vendor. Freaking RIP OFF! Amazon has the 50" for $999. Best buy appears to not sell the 55. It's only 50 or 65.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have a 37" that is 7 feet from where I sit. It is fine.
    I have a 46" that is 11 feet from where I sit and it is fine.
    My son has a 52" that is 7 feet from where he sits. He loves it. For me, I feel like I need to move my head from side to side to see it all.

No one can tell you what you need. This is a personal preference and you must make the decision.

As for over the mantle. No way I would put it up there unless I was going to be sitting 15 feet away from it so I would not get a crink in my neck from watching it. TVs are best viewed at eye level. That is why a lot of TV stand are adjustable for their height to get the center of the screen to eye level.

Just my 2 cents worth.

6. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I have a 37" that is 7 feet from where I sit. It is fine.
    I have a 46" that is 11 feet from where I sit and it is fine.
    My son has a 52" that is 7 feet from where he sits. He loves it. For me, I feel like I need to move my head from side to side to see it all.

No one can tell you what you need. This is a personal preference and you must make the decision.

As for over the mantle. No way I would put it up there unless I was going to be sitting 15 feet away from it so I would not get a crink in my neck from watching it. TVs are best viewed at eye level. That is why a lot of TV stand are adjustable for their height to get the center of the screen to eye level.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I hear you man. I'll just have to decide on 50 or 55.

As far as over the mantle, you can see my reasons above.

One good thing, all my sofas and recliner recline with foot rests. So, usually watch tv laying back at an angle. I'm assuming that will help greatly versus sitting on s regular couch or chair.

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well are you stuck on the exact model though? Costco usually has great deals. And still go as big as you can. You get used to the size.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    lower the mantle , man ! :D

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there are horrible stories when cracked TV arrived from Internet stores ... buy from local store (support your city !)

10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Well are you stuck on the exact model though? Costco usually has great deals. And still go as big as you can. You get used to the size.

I mean the Panasonic plasmas rule as far as all the ratings on cnet, amazon and just about anywhere else. Most everything at Costco was led.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go with the 55". Better to have more than less when it comes to screen size.

12. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    You think it will have a good picture from the distance I posted? Would the 50 look better in terms of clarity. I always thought you needed to be further back for larger screens to look better.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It will look good if you calibrate your new HDTV. It can be done by a professional or by yourself using a calibration disc.

14. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I'll probably have someone do it. I don't have a dvd player or blueray because I do VOD on DirecTV or stream through Apple TV or Netflix.

What's that run to have someone come do it? Do I need to have a disc player in order to have someone come out?

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If you have a professional calibrate your new HDTV they will be using their own equipment.

16. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    what's the rough cost to have that done?

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It depends on who you hire. Best Buy's Geek Squad charges $249.99. Check on line to see if their are other's in your area who provide HDTV calibration service.

18. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    OUCH!! That might have to wait. I'm getting the TV, I'm probably getting the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR Sound bar which the MSRP is $1999, having a company come mount the plasma and custom run all the wires so that's a labor charge I'm still waiting to hear back on.

I'm really treating myself and the family to this "gift." Moved into a new house recently and getting back on top after some hard times the past few years. I might as well do ir right don't you think? Thanks for the help.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There are DVDs and Blue Rays that are made to let you calibrate your TVs on your own if you would like to do it for your self.

20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You can achieve good results using a calibration disc. There's a variety to choose from and they are very affordable.