1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which slimline is the bad (recalled) one?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by fo71, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fo71

fo71 AllStar

Apr 26, 2002
    Hi there... making plans to get a slimline. However, I've read that there was or is a "lot" or brand of slimline lnb assembly that gave very low signal readings and had to be replaced for good ones. As far as I have been able to research there are several manufacturers such as wnc, eagle aspen, calamp, etc.

So.. which are the good ones and which are the ones to stay away from?

Thanks in advance !

2. rnwjr

rnwjr Cool Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Is there a way to tell without going on the roof? Also is this an actual recall or replacement if one has problems?

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    IMHO opinion its all Urban Legand.

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    +1 urban legend. I have one of the so-called low-quality LNB assemblies on an old AT9, my signal strengths are mostly in the 90's across the board. Of course, that doesn't say there aren't some faulty assemblies out there, but I know of no recalls, nor any really widespread issues.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Of course there are good and bad but I've heard no official word on a recall.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Ditto no recalls but many poor installs.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There was some discussion with regard to the original AT9 5-LNB dish, commonly referred to as the "Sidecar" dish, but those are no longer generally available.

The solution for a bad AT9 was to replace it with an AU9 Slimline dish.

Carl

8. pdawg17

pdawg17 Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    Well a few of us in the Bay Area have found out that Calamps are 8-10 points worse on 103b than the others but there's definitely no recall and our research was not at all controlled and was not a double-blind study :D

9. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I had one of the outputs go bad on my AT-9, and I couldn't get a replacement LNB, so I replaced the whole dish with the slimline. The slimline is a much better dish in my opinion.

10. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    The problem with the CalAmp Slimline seems to be throughout the west. For me, the 103b signals are more like 10-20 points lower than the rest of the of the satellites. I am very confident that my alignment is good (mid-high 90's on all other sats (including 103a, ~70-80 on 103b). Others have replaced the CalAmp LNB with a WNC LNB, and seen significant improvement. Here's some discussion on this very issue.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=106894

To my knowledge, there has been no recall (perhaps there should be?), but if you are obtaining a Slimline from a source other than DIRECTV, I would stay away from the CalAmp version.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    There is a question! How far back do you replace the parts. Clearly the LNB for AT 9 (sidecar) is not interchangeable with the Au 9 (slimline). Is the arm to be changed out? How about the dish..will the AU 9 dish mount on the AT 9 adjustment mechanism?
    The mast is the same I guess.

?
    Joe

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The mast is the same and you can re-use the back assembly. Everything else goes to the scrap yard or to the curb for the crack heads to pick up. :grin:

13. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Slimline failure rate (1st 90 days) is about 1 in 200.

Not bad but could be better.

(Numbers based on slimlines ordered vs LNBs returned)

Matt

14. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    IIRC, there was an issue with the Wistron NeWeb (WNC) LNB's and the WB68 or lack thereof, which was corrected with Rev. 1. All current production available will be Rev. 1x, but it's not impossible you'd come across a pre-Rev. 1 Slimline WNC LNB/ dish on eBay....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.