1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

which type to buy and placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Nabisco, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    i was looking into the home surround sound and was wondering what are some good ones, now i dont have 600 to spend on one but what are some good ones. i was in best buy today and they had the speakers right next to the tv{ a flat panel} wont that mess with the picture.

now when i place the speakers i was wanting two up front and two in the back, and the woffer behind the sofa{ it sits at a angle so the kids dont get it} now do the speakers have to be parallel? does the placement of them affect the sound?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm not sure what you mean by "home surround sound". Are you looking to get speakers? A 5.1 setup? Do you already have a receiver? It'll be hard to get a quality set for under $600 (including the sub) and very hard if you need a receiver too. Although, I'm not sure how much you actually want to spend, because you only said "I don't have $600 to spend". Does that mean you have $500? $200?

To answer a couple of your questions, there are no rear speakers in a 5.1 system. There's 3 speakers up front (L/C/R) and 2 surround speakers to the side of the listening area. Generally, the subwoofer is better placed up front, but every room is different. Behind the sofa might not be accurate. And finally, yes, placement of the speakers effects the sound.

3. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I purchased an Onkyo system about 2 months ago, although it may be alittle more than you are wanting to spend it sounds phenominal! It also came with a mic to plug in once everything is set up to self calibrate the sound.

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    OK, after reading your post a few times, it seems to me you're talking about a HTIB? You need everything? I'd say, don't do it. If you're really on a budget and want the best bang for your buck. Here's what you should do.

Buy THESE speakers for $200
    Buy THIS subwoofer for $100.
    Buy THIS Receiver for just over $200 (if the link no longer works, just search for avr 146 on Ebay. They're refurbished units, but they're sold on Ebay directly from Harmon Kardon. It's a very good deal and their refurbs come with full manufacturers warranty).

That will give you a 5.1 setup for just over $500 (you will have to spend $50-$100 or so on cables and speaker wire if you don't have any) and not only will it blow away any HTIB, but it will enable you to upgrade separate components over time (as you feel the need), much easier than with a HTIB.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Very good advice, spartanstew.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Actually, a 5.1 surround system can use the L/R surrounds as rear/ side or rear speakers.

Here's a typical 5.1 setup:

[​IMG]

Main speakers: right front, left front
    Center channel: center front
    Surrounds:right side/rear, left side/rear
    Sub-woofer: Place almost anywhere (front, front-side or rear) low frequencies are non-directional so the direction of the sound source is not apparent.

7. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can find pictures of a lot of things on the internet. Some people may place their surround speakers on the rear wall (I actually have them set up that way in my living room), but that doesn't make it correct.

HERE'S THE THX RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S AUDIOHOLICS RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S CRUTCHFIELDS RECOMMENDATION

HERE'S DOLBY'S RECOMMENDATION

All of them recommend the surrounds to the sides of the listener. And since the Dolby standard is what's used when mixing most soundtracks, I'd try and use that recommendation, if possible.

8. dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    Everything is shielded these days so this is not really an issue. However it is not ideal for good sound.

Sounds to me like your on a budget. I went with something like this when I put in a second surround sound system in my house

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115124

Now George Lucas isn't going to come to your house to check out your set-up but it will provide you with good sound and keep you well within your budget.

As far as set-up, go ahead and put the sub behind your couch, no big deal. And put the surrounds where you want them. You are not building a "home theater," just a place to watch some movies, sports, etc.. so do whatever works for ya.