1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White line at the top...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rockermann, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockermann

Rockermann Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Hey folks,

I'm using one of my HR-20s on through a Panasonic AX100U projector. I have the HR20 set to 'Native'. When watching an HD channel/program, all is well. However, when say a commercial comes on and the signal changes from HD to SD, I get a very thin, white line at the very top of the display. It kind of crawls and jitters. It will do this through entire programs that are not in HD, when watching on an HD channel.

It what might be a related issue, I get a yellow thin line down the left side of the display when watching HD on NBC via the D* satellite fed local Milwaukee NBC stations.

Any clues on what I could do to eliminate these?

Thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What you are seeing is a "lack of overscan". All TV programs are made to be shown on TVs with some overscan.
    I can set mind to zero overscan and then I see the same thing you are. I have changed mine to 3-5% overscan and it trims off what you're seeing.
    The "crawl & jitter" is the closed captioning info being sent by the program provider.

3. Rockermann

Rockermann Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Ahhh... makes sense. I'll make the adjustment on the projector this evening and see if that takes care of the issue.

Thanks!

4. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    is the adjustment you're referring to, made the receiver's setup, or the tv ?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It is a TV adjustment. If you don't find it in the user's menu, then it's in the service menu. Service menu adjustments are best done by a service tech.

6. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    thank you.......Happy Thanksgiving to all DBSTalk members

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I've seen this thin white line flickering at a few rate occasions, too.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My SHARP television has a nifty feature of being able to shift the screen pixel-by-pixel. I just shift the whole think up a few pixels and all is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.