1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who are the moderators?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by runner861, Dec 14, 2011.

1. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Who are the moderators? Also, what happened to the uplink report? I can't find the location on the site that lists the moderators, and I don't see anyone moderating the Dish forums.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I've wondered where James Long has been.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Here is a listing of the staff: http://www.dbstalk.com/showgroups.php

If there is an issue with a Dish network forum post, please use the "report post" [​IMG] button under the avatar.

Thanks!

4. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Me too.

5. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    The uplink report provided useful information. I'm sorry to see it gone.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Haven't seen Larry Flowers in eons either.

7. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    There's a Dish Uplink Report posted at the satelliteguys website. Is this different from what is missing here?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Little bit.

9. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    It is apparent that the uplink report, formerly provided by James Long and then by coolman302003, is gone. It is also apparent that no one is actively moderating these Dish discussions.

In my opinion, we can do without moderation unless/until problems develop, but the loss of the uplink report is a significant loss. It is information that we no longer have. I know, there are other ways to get it, but none as convenient as looking for it posted as a sticky thread weekly.

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I know that these forums are being read and moderated. Simply because you cannot see the effects of moderation does not mean it is absent ;)

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Write something really offensive in any thread here....you will see a very active moderation occur...as it should. Someone as you with that many posts almost certainly knows that these forums are always moderated.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Even better, don't write something really offensive :)

13. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you for the swift response. Can you provide any information on when/if the uplink report will return?

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    At this time I believe that no one has volunteered to maintain it. If you're interested, send a private message to Stewart Vernon.

15. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    We monitor, but not every discussion needs to have a moderator jump in. Any altercations/need for moderation we try to do through private messaging.

Is there a reason someone believes a moderator isn't monitoring? If so it is possible we missed something as we do not moderate any of the forums on a full time basis... still just volunteers as we always have been. If attention is needed immediately just hit the report post button.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    It's not exactly an easy thing to do as far as I know. It requires at least a card in a computer to sniff the satellite traffic and it's not very easily duplicated.

17. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I have DVB cards but just do not have the time to monitor NIT changes etc...

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I will add to what Stuart and Jason have said... Apart from some time in November/December where I was not feeling well and had about a week of absence myself from the forum, I am not aware of a time when these Dish forums have not been moderated. We do miss things, sometimes so please make sure you report threads or posts you see as offensive or otherwise against DBSTalk rules... And you can always PM any moderator if you have a question that isn't necessarily about reporting a violation.

As for James and the uplinks... I have both agreed with and butted heads with James for years, but I do not know him personally or outside of this forum. I do not have any knowledge of where he is or what happened to the uplink reports, though I recognize the void we have without them. I wish I had an answer, and it is frustrating seeing a question for which I can't give a better response than "I don't know"... but that is where I am at the moment.

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I've been wondering the same things.

20. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    James 'justalurker' Long's last post was here back in November.

Also at the bottom of every forum on the right side is a list of the persons who moderate the particular forum you are viewing.....

[​IMG]