1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Who else uses Vudu Exclusively for PPV?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Chuck W, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I come to love the quality I get(and the prices are in line with other outlets, including Directv) from Vudu enough that it has become my one and only source for PPV. I now make sure when I buy a device that is supports VuDu.

I have a PS3, a Boxee Box, a Samsung BluRay player(BD-C6900) and an older LG that have all 4 or my TV's covered for PPV on VuDu. As it stands right now, there's no other outlet that I can get 1080p AND DD+.

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have used Vudu a few times. I like it. Good selection of movies and the quality is excellent. I really don't have a primary pay-per-view right now as I also use Apple TV but Vudu is slowly becoming my favorite. Just don't like the $5.99 price for HDX. Even though Apple TV peaks out at $4.99, it's 720p but there is DD which, quite frankly, I have a hard time telling the difference between DD and DD+. Apple TV's 720p also looks very good.

3. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    One other thing about Vudu. The buffering seems to be somewhat small. The movie stops and then gives you a chance to downshift to a lower resolution if bandwith is low. That's not good especially if you paid for the HDX version ($5.99) of the movie. The Apple TV can buffer the entire movie so you can start it downloading early to make sure you won't be interrupted.

4. Apr 7, 2011 #4 of 11
    Bluejem13

Bluejem13 New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    We have had Vudu since it's inception, still have the original console.
    Really loved it for a long time, but thing always change...(like Walmart buying the company) What I dont like is the way they bill now, individually. I liked the old way of loading up a set amount. Also don't like the new menu, to much junk.
    I may flip over to net flix... Any others worth checking into?

5. Apr 7, 2011 #5 of 11
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Nope. Netflix pretty much does it all for me, but "Crackle" <www.crackle.com> is a nice recent addition, offering uncut movies for free, but with insert ads. Free is good.

If you're looking for a new stb, the Roku stb offers a ton of other programming and content options.

6. Apr 8, 2011 #6 of 11
    Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree with Nick. The Roku box is the best value out there. Lots of content to choose from on that box including Netflix. At $59, its a steal for what that box does.

http://www.roku.com/

7. Apr 8, 2011 #7 of 11
    larryflowers1367066121

larryflowers1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My new Samsung Blu_Ray player (BD-D5700) has Vudu, but I haven't tried it yet. There is a free movie offer so maybe I will give it a go this weekend.

8. Apr 8, 2011 #8 of 11
    Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I havent download a movie. But I do use the Vudu menu. I like it better than the Netflix streaming menu. There is more info about the movie. Plus I like the trailers. With 6meg(more like 5 average) I havent had a problem with HDX trailers. I use a PS3.

9. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    Ditto that.

I despise the newer Netflix interface. The web interface used to be much better than the one on the PS3, but now they have changed the Web version to be more like the console version! UGH!

I just want to be able to search by genre!

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I was watching a movie trailer the other day in 1080P and it was buffering every 30 to 40 or so seconds, it turned me off from ordering anything from them at this time.

11. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Rented my first vudu movie "Europa Report". 1080p was beautiful. Streamed it with a 10meg no buffering. I notice you had the option to download and view later on the ps3 because of the harddive.