1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has left D* within the last Month?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tealcomp, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tealcomp

tealcomp Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Hi All:

I am just curious how many people came to E* recently because of the excellent promotion that E* was offering and D* would not provide any incentive to stay?

I am still negotiating with them, but have been comparing the two. You can imagine that being a D* customer for 12 years or so, I am hesitant to bail out, but (and I won't bore you with the details, they are already in other posts) I am close to that
    decision. I have been reading copious amounts of posts educating myself, but I would love to hear what others who left have to say..

I have been building a spreadsheet to compare what I have with D* to a comparable package with E*, which for now I have settled on AT250, though AT200 is probably closer to Total Choice + (what I have with D*)..

Regards,
    -Dan

2. muscles4life70

muscles4life70 Mentor

Sep 12, 2007
    I just switched from D* a couple of weeks ago because of alot of problems and multiple replacements of the R15. I left a year and a half into my two year comtract. I had MAJOR problems when I left( you can read my post in the D* general discussion forum, titled "stay away from DirecTV ) I have a VIP722 HD-DVR and a VIP222 HD unit with AT200 programming. The deal to join and get these units was amazing.

Things I've noticed in only the two weeks I've been with E* is E*'s equipment (as far as a DVR and quality seem ) blows D*'s equipment away. The DVR doesn't record re runs if you don't wan't it to, it actualy tells you the original air date of the program. If you're with D*, you know what I'm talking about, it didn't matter what settings you put, D* DVR recorded new, old and even the same episode over and over, not with E*. It has only been two weeks with E*, but no major issues. I did however have to have the installer come back out and adjust for a better signal, but thats about it. With D*, I always had problems with the receiver freezing and doing lots of resets and exchanges.

I do know D* is coming out with alot of HD channels this month and now E* will be way behind in that department, so I hope E* will also be adding more in the NEAR future. I also would reccomend the AT250 as I had the Total Choice+ package with D*, because there are a few channels on the 250 that I would like, you just need to check out the packages and pick what fits your taste more compared to the cost.

It has only been two weeks with E*, but I do not regret the change at all and at this point is really does seem for the better. I hope this helped at least a little bit.

3. adkcek

adkcek Cool Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I just left Directv the first of August after about 2 1/2 years. I had an HDTIVO and I could switch to Dish cheaper and get a 622 and 625 that works two rooms instead of three recievers I had with Directv. I was with Dish before but only switched to Directv for the Tivo but with that now gone I had no real reason to stay with them. They pissed me off last year when the pulled an HD channel on Sundays for the precious football package. It didn't matter if I was watching it our not I paid for it and I should recieve it. To convert to MPEG 4 with Directv they wanted 299. for the HD recorder plus I would have needed a standard def for the other room and I recieved no great offers until I cancelled. I have not regretted the change and have enjoyed being back with Dish once again.

4. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I switched from D* to E* this last week. it was a personal issue and a direct result of their customer service. No need to air dirty laundry.

The DVR UI is wonderful with E*. I didn't have HD DVR with D* I had 3 R-10 units. I did not experience the problem with repeating recording. In fact I was impressed with how well it did.

I don't see a way to tell my ViP722 to record the timer on all channels but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Overall I've been very happy I made the change. I contemplated it for over a year. But being able to get my 625, and 722 with no upfront cost other than a 39. fee I was thrilled. D* gave me no options to upgrade without spending 500.00 (this was months ago so that might have changed) and their customer retention team tried offering all sorts of free stuff. unfortunately it was all programming based, and HD was my goal.

I'm glad I made the change. HOWEVER. I'm very unhappy that I cant get all the major networks in HD. I didn't know this up front and I'm not 100% sure I'd have done it knowing that.

5. dgib

dgib AllStar

Nov 16, 2005
    I switched a few months ago having been with D* for 5 years. I had 3 HDVR2's at one point, then down to 2 then down to 1 R15. I wanted to go HD but the only deal I thought was any good came after I cancelled. E* is amazing. The HD DVR is great and does as it's supposed to.

6. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Are you talking national or regional?

If regional, you could try OTA

7. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I don't care at all where they're from. Locals, or anywhere. I'm talking about
    ABC HD
    NBC HD
    CBS HD
    FOX HD

Are those available somehow? I can't do OTA. I'm over 90 miles from the broadcast towers and I'm in a valley (very low population town)

8. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    OTA is the only way I think think of. Sorry

Sorry to thread jack as well :(

9. hockeyinsd

hockeyinsd AllStar

Aug 29, 2004
    FastnoNOC - you're in San Diego, right? I live in Leucadia and have fox, nbc, cbs and nbc hd feeds via LIL on DISH. Did you sign up for the locals? I have a DPP Twin for 110 and 119 and a dish 300 for 129 and get the SD and HD locals just fine.

10. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    No no, currently I'm taking care of an ill mother. I live in San Diego but will be in Arkansas for the next year or two. So I rented my house out down there.

Keep in mind, I get the local channels on SD, but have no HD access to any of them (and I know they do exist as I got them with local cable company previously)

11. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Since your mother is ill you may qualify fr cable "lifeline" programming which all cable companies have to offer. Most times it is a handful of channels that will include the locals for a few bucks a month. If you are lucky, the HD versions will also be available in that package but you would/may need to use the QAM tuner in the TV if it has one. Or you can even buy a seperate QAM tuner STB. Just an off-the-wall idea.

I know the local cable system has the HD versions available and they can be tuned in by a TV with a QAM tuner.

12. pickadish

pickadish New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    D* customer for last 6 yrs.

Will be E* starting tomorrow.

Multiple Tivo SD now and wanting to switch to HD DVR. They could do nothing for me as I want two set HD DVR recording. I would have to pay 299 per receiver.

E* is going to run about $3 month more for DVRAdvantage package with no commitment and 722 to handle both.

D* couldn't / wouldn't even try to compete.

So cya.

13. searcy_5

searcy_5 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    You may be able to move your service address to an area that has hd locals. I live in the boonies in MS and according to dish recieve service at a captain d's in nashville, tn so I can get HD locals. They are on conus, so i don't see why you couldn't do the same. Chicago may be another option.

14. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    I just did the opposite here. I switched from E* to D* yesterday. I was a D* customer about a year ago and switched to E* because D* had problems filling HD DVR install orders. I think E* in general has a very good offering. They lost me though when they dropped Extra Innings and now it appears they might not carry Center Ice. I don't have confidence in them when it comes to sports programming.....I'm not a sports freak but it is important to me. Don't go to E* for sports.....that almost goes without saying.

I also wasn't too crazy about the 622 controlling a second TV with the SD coaxial connection. If you have kids I suppose SD is fine as a second TV. Now I have the D* HD receiver in the second room plugged into my 32 inch Toshiba HD LCD TV.

E* and I reached a mutual agreed upon solution for terminating my agreement without paying the full termination fee. For that I give them credit. Everyone has different priorities and for me, D* fills them better than E*.

15. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007

Hmm.. Hey that's a great idea. Thanks for that!

16. schneid

schneid Godfather

Aug 13, 2007
    but left in June. D* was just sitting on their thumbs and not moving ahead. I was miffed for awhile that they ditched REAL TiVo and substituted their own home-grown effort. I read both the hardware and software sucked.

What did it was when they wanted $299 to upgrade me to their hand full of HD channels. I had paid them over $12,000 for programming and they never bought me a piece of equipment or did an install for me. I was all gravy for them.

I switched to ATT Homezone (Dish) HD. It cost me $149.00 but I have no contract. For now, for me, Dish is clearly superior to Direct in every way.

17. tealcomp

tealcomp Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Hi Dano:

Thanks for sharing; well for me sports is a non-issue; in fact I wish you could get a "non-sports" package..but I certainly believe in diversity, so I am glad that things worked out for you.

-Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.