1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who lives in or around Boston and uses an antenna?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mike Bertelson, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    [SIZE=10.5pt]My daughter is planning to move the Boston area. I'm wondering what kind of OTA reception she can get from the various locations around Boston.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]She's talking about Brighton, Brookline, Jamaica Plain, Roxbury area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]When I was a kid in north Jersey we could bet a dozen + channels with just rabbit ears and a few more with a roof antenna. Where we live, where kappaßeta grew up, we get only one-ish station with an antenna so she's dubious about getting TV with an antenna.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]TIA for any info.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mike [/SIZE]

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I'm not familiar with Boston but the RabbitEars website has some great information on OTA stations including tower locations and signal strength maps. They even show channel bit rates. :)

There's a ton of info on there if you're willing to poke around.

You can enter a zip code or address on this page to get a list of local results: http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    You can also inquire in the AVSForums Local Area Boston reception thread.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Back in the 1980s I knew plenty of people in Brighton who got great reception. Two major stations have facilities in that area as a matter of fact. Unless things have changed (and I have reason to think they have not) most of the stations in the Boston market broadcast from the top of the Prudential building which is plainly visible from much of central Boston. Once you get out into the suburbs it's harder to see on the horizon but being one of the tallest buildings in the area it's easy to get signal from it.

Another data point, I lived several places between 10 and 35 miles from central Boston in my youth and had very little trouble getting signal with a roof aerial. I would think that any of the new compact UHF antennas sold by third party DIRECTV retailers would do very well.

5. fishingham

fishingham Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Look on a map where route 9 crosses route 128 west of Boston in Needham. That is where most all the transmitter towers are actually located. As long as large buildings are not in the way to create multipath signals reception anywhere in the area is not a problem. I live north in New Hampshire and have no problem receiving the Boston channels OTA.

6. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    WHDH (NBC) - Needham Tower, where ever that is

WGBH(PBS), WBZ(CBS), WCVB(ABC), WHDN all seem to sharing a tower in the Wellesley-Newton area (N 42 °18' 37.0", W 71° 14' 12.0" according to the FCC database). WFXT(Fox) is also in this area. There seem to be several more stations using these two towers also.

IIUC, these are so close to the area my daughter is intending on moving that rabbit ears should be enough...or more like the HD Blade.

She wants to save money on TV but, “...dad, I won’t watch live TV so I’ll need some way to record HD or stream....and antenna won’t work”.

I can’t win. :rolleyes:

Mike

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    why ? OTA DVR like TR-50 aka dtvpal dvr aka cm7000-pal would do that for her

8. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    The idea is inexpensive. If she were gonna spend that kind of money there are plenty of HD DVR options and the CM-7000pal wouldn't be my first one. She could get a TiVo with twice the HD capacity for less than half the money. It's an option but not necessarily the direction she want's go.

Mike

9. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Rabbit ears would be fine, I live on the RI border and I receive Boston Local via OTA and Rabit ears. I am using the TR-50 (Dtvpal) to record.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    She should pick up great reception from any one of those areas you mentioned, I'm Picking up all the major networks with my powered Leaf antenna and they are from 28 to 42 miles from me the way of a crows flight.