DBSTalk Forum banner

Who really uses On Demand?

10K views 118 replies 95 participants last post by  jmudukes07 
#1 ·
I have to admit that I've been disappointed by the offerings by DirecTV in relation their On Demand service. I was looking forward to having a Comcast-like type of service where I could go back and watch missed network shows. However, all it appears they have are a few shows from each cable network, and not even complete seasons at that (excluding some of the Premium Networks).

Anyone else feeling this way?

#4 ·
I use it all the time, However I get all the channels 265 + so there is lots of stuff to download.

Your VOD channels you get depends on what D* package your subscribed to.(EXAMPLE) Don't get the movie channels --THEN NO VOD movie channels for you! :D

#8 ·
I agree with the OP - On Demand is pretty useless to us.

#10 ·
Use it a lot. . . actually advance showings of 'Weeds' and 'Nurse Jackie' have been on Showtime on Demand.

And early seasons of 'Dexter' and several others.

If you don't like it, why complain? It's free.

I'm sure there's contractural arrangements that have to be concluded for network and HBO offerings.

#11 ·
It's not much to me either, I do enjoy getting Nurse Jackie a week ahead of time and I stayed a week ahead on US of Tara, other than that, it's not a great asset. If it carried some of the major networks it would be a lot better. I was expecting it to be a bit more like cable also. I expected some network shows, and we hardly have any SciFi, USA, TNT and even less of it's in HD. I'd rate the selection as pretty much disappointing.

#13 ·
I use it maybe 2% of the time. I used it more before the content "expired" after so long. I can record a show and keep it as long as I want - or VOD a show and have to watch it with XX days.

I use it now for shows I missed. I never use PPV BTW, as I use Netflix.

#14 ·
I have multiple DVRs, so I get pretty much all I care to watch that way. I have used DoD several times to catch episodes of things I've missed. Sometimes I find interesting shows there that I wouldn't be finding otherwise (I don't just randomly browse the program guide, etc.).

#19 ·
The wife and I were both ill one weekend and trying to find something to watch. We actually went and did some Netflix on Demand through the Xbox. The DirecTV offering never even came to mind.

She has started watching Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Only 3 past episodes. That's the stuff that needs to be improved upon.

And you would have thought DirecTV would have at least had ONE major network on-board when they launched the offering.

#20 ·
I like it a lot more than cable's version, actually. I watched all of Californication Season 2 & have started on Dexter. It's funny to see people complain about a free service, though.

#23 ·
Good topic. It's really been a disappointment for me because of the lack of free HD content. I'm sure this will change with time. There's so much great HD content though my regular D* service that I've stopped checking the On Demand guide because it's always a disappointment.

#24 ·
fluffybear said:
I agree it is not anything like you might get from the Cable company but it's pretty good and improving all the time. I'm just disappointed that they are not yet offering HDNET Movies & HDNET on Demand.
HD Net VOD is nothing to write home about, to be honest. We get it with FiOS. It's primarily stuff like Dan Rather Reports. They have remarkably few selections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.