1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who to hire to rewire DTV install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brittu, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brittu

brittu Cool Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm not sure how to get some wiring work done on my house and thought I'd post my question to you dbstalk experts...

The Problem
    • Outside - We recently put an addition on our house and need the new room hooked up to satellite (the wiring is already in the wall) and also need the dishes reattached to the house and the outside wiring cleaned up a bit.
    • Inside DTV - We're changing the mirroring and configuration around a bit inside the house and need some help determining the best way to do that.
    • Phone Line - In at least one room we need the phone line moved from one side of the room to the other for the receiver.

The Equipment
    • We have 2 Directv HD DVRs and 1 Tivo Directv DVR
    • We've got the new big HD-capable dish and one older dish that runs the SD Tivo just fine.

The Question
    Who we we have do all this work? Including helping us plan the best way to do it all and what, if any, additional hardware we'll need. Can Directv really help with that? They offered a free install for someone to come out and put the dishes back and then consult with us on any "custom" work. I assume that means Ironwood again - when we added the most recent dish and 2nd HD DVR we noticed that Ironwood wasn't real helpful when it came to planning and sorting out the best way to wire throughout the house - I basically had to explain mirroring and come up with a way to do it through the attic. We have a mess of wires hanging off the side of our house and everything exposed to the elements. I'm a little dubious and want this done in a way that looks and works reasonable well for the money.

Seems like there's got to be a way to get good, reasonably price help with this. Are there people we can hire to do the plan and the work including remounting the dishes, any interior wiring, phone line move, etc.? We live just north of Seattle if you happen to know anyone local.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Britt

2. gabe23

gabe23 Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Around here there are several home theater installers that specialize in running cable & wires, moving jacks, etc. As long as you can tell them how many cables you need and where you want the jacks, they should be able to plan and install everything. You might try posting on AVS Forum and some other home theater sites for recommendations in your area. But you'll likely need to have D* send someone out to redo the dish. I did a similar rewire job myself, and I had all the cables set up and labelled so the D* installer just had to point the dish and plug everything in.

3. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    You can also look in the Yellow Pages. Somebody who is being payed better than a flat fee may be more inclined to do a neater job. Though I would have the scope of the work spelled out and agreed upon.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Get it done nicely and have them run some ethernet to the same places as well. A wired house is a happy house :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.