1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Who'd want to live in New Jersey?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lots of people as these maps show. And the reasons are many and somehow oddly strange...

Rich

2. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    I think NJ is the perfect state to live in. What other states in the US you are able to in the city and an hour later at the beach or in the mountains. Nj jersey is the home to two NFL football teams in the same stadium. The quality of the schools and the college graduation rates is one of the highest in the country.

Ed

NJ and You Perfect together. That was the state motto for years.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have fond memories of spending summer in Perth Amboy at one of my cousin house when I was a kid. As a kid from the South Bronx it was almost like another country to me.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Born in Jersey City, Elementary school in Jersey City, High School in Bayonne. Summers at the Jersey Shore. and college in Newark at NJIT.

5. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
    California

6. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Oregon & Washington.

You call them big foothills back there mountains eh? !devil12:

Don "of course one could argue our 'big' cities up here are mere cow towns in comparison" Bolton

1 person likes this.
  7. dmurphy

dmurphy New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    It's Taylor Ham. I'll tell you where you can stick your pork roll.... ;)

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Chris Christie, 'nough said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Several years ago my sister that lived in Tampa, Fl was offered a job she could not refuse in NJ. She lived there one year and said she thought she was going to freeze to death. She moved back to Tampa the next year before the next winter was coming.
    I would freeze there also from living 10 miles off the Gulf of Mexico coast for most of my life.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've spent a lot of time in Texas City, and I can see your point. I do enjoy the seasons. I don't think I could live on the Gulf, but that's just me. If it wasn't for air conditioning, the Gulf would not be livable. I think.

Rich

11. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Washington and Oregon have 4 seasons, deserts, ski mountains, lakes, oceans and jungle like areas, all within a total of about 5 hours driving.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I grew up in Philly and vacationed at the Jersey shore practically every summer.

I've been in California eight blocks from the beach since 1959 and visit the East Coast only in the spring and fall if at all possible. Jersey is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. And do they still have those "green-head flies" that sting at the beach during the day?

Yes, you can swim in the ocean and ski in the local mountains on the same day out here. Of course the ocean water is pretty cold!

1 person likes this.
  13. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I grew up in Corona del Mar, CA. so I know the weather with which you are blessed. I still find temps above 75 to be hot but tolerate the cold fine. Of course I surfed and body surfed a lot back in the day in that "cold" ocean. Might think it cold today but back then that water temp was normal to me.

Don "then I found paradise and moved up here" Bolton

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Horse flies, they're called. Haven't seen one in a long time. Personally, I'm not a Jersey Shore fan, I'd rather go to Ocean City, MD.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nothing in NJ is five hours away. But the taxes! Wow! Do we pay taxes.

Rich

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most True ! No AC and I would probably die from the heat.
    Dang, can't win for losing. LOL Freeze or Heat to death.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If Hawaii didn't have all those volcanoes it would be a perfect place.

Rich

18. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    If Hawaii didn't have all those volcanoes it would be a perfect place.

Rich
    Seriously? That effects one small area of the Big Island, the east side between Kona and Hilo. You do get some Vog occasionally, but it's not like lava flows through your back door if you don't live in the "rift zone" or anything, sheesh. ;)

Dave Harper
    ISF, CTS
    Director, Event Technology

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If I could figure out how to make a living there- I'd move to the Big Island in a heartbeat - the volcanos are part of the attraction !

Heat - bah - 75 is just getting nice. I grew up in Kansas and have dealt with temps from below zero to over 110 in the course of a year.

And yes - NC can go from beaches to mountains in 5-6 hours too.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never been there, you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

Rich