1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home / 3D setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tvl76, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tvl76

tvl76 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    I'm trying to decide if I want a Whole Home DVR install. I currently have (2) HR20's side by side and connected to my new Pany 3D TV.

I upgraded one of the HDMI cable's and have an HR24 (3rd party purchase) en route to replace one of the HR20's.

Question-1: If I decided to upgrade the 2nd HR20 to a 3D ready HR, can the recorded 3D content on the 2nd HR be played back through the HR24, via the "whole home" cloud, without degradation of signal ?
    ( I want to avoid the expensive HDMI upgrade for the 2nd HR )

Question-2: If for some reason I fill up the hard drive on the HR24 with recordings, will the Whole Home automatically use the 2nd DVR to record onto ?

Question-3: In another room in my house, I want to make my ethernet connection to the "decca cloud" behind my H21, which is right next to my router. I only have one coax to the H21. Can I presume a power inserter and decca with ethernet connection to my router. Then out of the decca into a splitter. One leg to the H21 and the other leg goes back to the SWM ?

I have my HR20's connected to the network off a switch. I could make the ethernet connection there and use the extra coax run back to the SWM, but I would prefer the ethernet be connected directly off my router, rather than the switch. Does that splitter behind the H21 hurt my signal in any way ? Your thoughts ?

Thanks

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes you can I do it all the time from a HR23 to a HR24.

Sorry but no, no automatic fall over, you need to manage recordings yourself.

If you get DIRECTV to install the WHDVR setup they should include a broadband DECA besides a DECA for your H21. They would install a splitter there, one leg to your H21 the other to the BB DECA.