1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home and Analog Mixing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bobneedshelp, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I currently have 2 HR 21s (DVRs) and I am thinking about moving to the whole home installation. In my current scenario, I have one output from the HR21 going to a TV and a second output going to an analog converter. The signal from the analog converter is mixed and distributed throughout all TVs in the house (via the analog converter). In this way, I can watch whatever is on my 2 DVRs and local OTA stations on other TVs (but it is an analog signal, OTA is Digital).

If I went to a whole home scenario (I guess this is the HR24), does it have similar outputs and can the signals still be mixed like this so that other TVs can receive the analog and OTA signals?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR24 has the same outputs as your HR21s.
    Not sure how you're sharing signals, but if you move to the connected home networking, you won't be able to share [diplex] the coax with other signals, as the band is used my the DECA networking.
    If you're using another cable/coax to feed these TVs, there shouldn't be any problem.

3. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I am taking the signal from the DVR and changing it to analog on a specific frequency. So DVR 1 can be on say channel 5 and DVR 2 can be on Channel 15. Each analog signal is sent on it's own coax to a device that combines signals from the satellite, OTA antenna feed, and other DVR analog feeds. The combination of all of those signals are amplified and sent to a splitter to a number of TVs each with their own coax connection.

If I do whole house, I would like to keep the OTA signal and DVR analog signal. I don't really control the DVR from the remote TV, I just watch whatever is being played on that DVR. I also have BlueRay, ... hooked into this concept and it works fine as well.

I'm not sure how to respond to help clarify my question. Let me know if there is some literature or information that I could review to understand how whole home is hooked up. Don't understand DECA, ... discussion at this point.

4. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If you do go to Whole Home you will likely be keeping your HR21s anyway. New boxes aren't always automatically handed out. Your existing ones will do Whole Home just fine.

What VOS said is correct. I assume that what you call an "analog adapter" is some kind of RF modulator that outputs on Channel 3 or some other analog channel? If this analog signal is fed out to other TVs back over the SAME coax cable that feeds the satellite signal into your HR21 (i.e. using diplexers), it will not work with Whole Home. If it goes out over a separate cable, you're OK.

One possible way around this: if your existing DVRs are presently connected by two cables each, that is called a "legacy" connection. When you get Whole Home, this will be converted to a single-cable system called SWM. That will leave one existing cable run unused, which could then possibly be reused for doing your analog distribution.

Keith

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is a show stopper. You cannot cost effectively combine OTA with the networking technology that DIRECTV is using in their professional installations.

You either need to run a separate analog cabling system or use Ethernet to connect all of the receivers in place of DECA.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is the part that needs more definition.
    DECA is a coax networking [signal] that is in the 500-600 MHz range and at VERY high levels.