1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home Connection Issues - Unsupported

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by SkersR1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1 of 24
    SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    Having issues recently with my HR20 connecting to the network or internet I guess.

I have 1 HR20 & 1 HR21 that are both hard wired to my directly to my router. Neither has DECA & I don't have the SWM. They have been installed this way since the Beta of the MRV and has worked almost flawlessly until the other day. My router for one reason or another lost all connection and I couldn't get it back. After several resets and unplugging I decided it was gone. Anyway got a new router (temporary) for now. It's a D-Link DGL4100 I believe is the model. I plugged everything in and did a restore defaults on both DVRs in the network settings menu. The HR21 popped up on the router and has internet and can be seen on the router. The HR20 on the other hand, did not happen. I can see the IP address and everything on the router and have made sure all the info is correct in the IP, DNS, Gateway... screen, but I can not get it to connect to the internet. It goes through the testing and everything checks out until it tries to connect & I get an error code 22 I believe.

Any suggestions or what might I be missing here. I've tried about everything I can thing of.

2. Sep 8, 2011 #2 of 24
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Try rebooting your DVR's. If you're still having issues, set your DVR's to static IP addresses outside of the DHCP range of your router.

Also, I've read that some people had issues connecting directly to a router and adding a separate switch to handle MRV traffic was helpfull in resolving that issue.

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 24
    SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    Go Beavs - Thank you for the recommendations.

Unfortunately I've rebooted many times and have the IP addresses set to what I believe is correct. The only thing I hadn't tried was a switch.

Are you talking about just a 4 port ethernet switch that allows you to split to several devices. If that is the case I happen to have one and gave it a try, but still no luck. I guess to me it just doesn't make sense. I can see it on my network. Could there be an issue with the cable?

I can live without the internet, but the MRV is what I am missing most. I have a tech coming next week to install a SWiM system. If I've read things correctly I can get the MRV over the coax with the SWiM & don't have to worry about it being connected to the internet?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #4 of 24
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Going SWiM is a good idea and you will be able to connect to the internet as well as use MRV.

What I would do in the mean time is to use your switch to connect your DVR's only. Don't connect it to your router. Then reset the network settings to default on each box. It may take a reboot but they will revert to default ip addresses and should be able to see each other. You won't be connected to the internet but MRV should work just fine until the tech sets up your SWiM system and DECA network.

If it still doesn't work after that, it could be a bad cable.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #5 of 24
    SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    Ok, last 2 things (I hope):

1. As far as the switch goes just connect them both to the output side and nothing on the input?

2. I'm not getting the DECA so is that going to cause problems. I'm not really worried about the internet on the HR20. It's my main one, but I can flip the 2 and use the HR21 for Apps and VOD if need be.

Thanks

6. Sep 9, 2011 #6 of 24
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just a hail-mary pass kind of idea...

Is your HR20 an HR20-100? The easiest way to tell is if there are two ethernet ports. If there are two, try putting the ethernet cable in the other one. It shouldn't work at all with the plug in the wrong port.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 24
    SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    Stuart it is a -100. I believe I read somewhere here it needs to go in the top one? If that isn't correct then that would be the issue. I had it in my mind it wasn't the bottom one so never even tried swapping them. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #8 of 24
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes, just leave the router out. There is no input or output side of an ethernet switch. The ports are bi-directional.

I misunderstood you I guess... You mentioned MRV over coax, which is DECA. But regardless, having SWiM doesn't mean that you HAVE TO use DECA only that you CAN. You can still have unsupported MRV over ethernet if you want.

Going the DECA route would be an advantage in that the tech can set everything up for you and DIRECTV will provide support. Either way, you should be able to connect to the internet on both boxes.

9. Sep 9, 2011 #9 of 24
    SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    This worked

Ok, for some reason I thought that the SWiM was capable of doing MRV. I probably should have had them install DECA also, but when I set this up about a month ago everything was working fine. I might see if I can get them to add it. Not sure I'll be able to, the install is Monday afternoon.

Thank You for the help & info.

10. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    SWiM is a method for distributing the satellite signals for multiple tuners over a single cable. DECA is networking over coax that can only be used with a SWiM system. I would think the installer should have some DECA modules on the truck which is all you need once you're converted to SWiM.

Good luck with the install and let us know how it goes!

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  12. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Hmmm...had a whole home system installed yesterday.

Have a new HR24-500 in the family room, my "old" HR22-100 now in the bedroom, and an H25 (I think that's what it is) in another room.

I've got a wireless "game adapter" plugged into a Deca broadband adapter that's hooked up to the HR24-500......everything works, shared playlists, all 3 of the receivers "see" the internet, VOD works fine.

I tried putting a router in between the wireless game adapter and the deca broadband adapter so that I could split my internet feed out to the PS3 sitting on the shelf next to the HR24-500....when I do that, no matter how many times I configure, reboot, etc......the whole home system doesn't "see" the internet. The PS3 does though, with 13+mbps speeds.

I'd like to be able to get this working, but if I can't the transfer speeds for the PS3 on it's own wireless is still at 10+mbps.

13. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I'm a tad confused. You put a second router up? A switch should work but Your router should be placed where your internet service enters your domicile. And there can be only one:grin:

The broadband adapter's Ethernet output could be put into a switch and its current Ethernet line out down to your existing router. Leaving extra switch ports for the, PS3, wireless access point, computer etc.

This sets up your Ethernet network outside the DirectTV DECA realm, but enables your receivers to use your "LAN" to get to VOD and other DVR extras.

Don "never cross the streams" Bolton

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    sdirv, I think a diagram of some sort is in order.

15. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Yes......it was my old wireless g router, I disabled the wireless section and was hoping to use it as a switch (FAIL!)

My modem and wireless router are at the other end of the house. I'm feeding (or was) the network to my DVR and PS3 with a wireless game/AV adapter. The HR24 doesn't passthrough ethernet like my HR22 did.

I guess if I want to bump the PS3's speed from 10+mbps to 13+mbps I'll have to buy a switch and use it to split the ethernet stream.

Thanks.

16. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Not really......I was already told that I can't have two routers in my system, and that trying to use a second router in place of a switch....doesn't work.

17. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    It may be possible to use the router as a switch if it's configured correctly. A true switch would be easier, seeing as you have to make sure the DHCP server is disabled on the second router and that the lan side of the second router is assigned a static IP address that is not in the DHCP pool of the main router. You also need to make sure that nothing is plugged into the WAN port on the second router.

Of course, as you already mentioned, you would need to disable the wireless part of the second router as well. I had problems using a second router as a switch until I upgraded the firmware of the second router. I had some issues until I did that.

18. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You can use a router this way as a switch using David's details above . . . and if it's a wireless router, you can use it as an additional Access Point. Assuming they're seperated by some distance, use the same SSID, Security key but change it to a different channel.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Properly configured you can use a router as a switch, you just need to know how to set it up. SOme cant be used as a switch without hacked software< like DD-WRT or the other (Tomato??), etc...but they can be used. I use one as a wireless bridge, so it acts a switch and a wireless connection between 2 floors of my house...

20. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Figured I'd give it another try.......turned off the wireless on my old/second router, turned off it's DHCP server, and assigned it 192.168.1.99, plugged it into the systems and everything is now working the way I'd hoped....it's now a "switch".:)