1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Home DVR installation options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by DoesItMatter, Jan 31, 2011.

1. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Do I have to have both a cable (Charter) line and a DirecTV line near my cable modem/router to use DECA?

2. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I take it you mean you are talking hooking up your whole-home-DVR cloud to also connect to the internet.

Presumably, your cable modem also serves as a switch/router, and/or you have a separate ethernet switch. In either case, you would hook the stand alone DECA to that ethernet network via Cat 5e cable and the RJ45 plug, and would also connect that same DECA to the whole-home-DVR cloud via the coax connection. The DECAs attached to your HD DVRs/receivers hook directly to the whole-home-DVR cloud via the same coax network that carries the satellite programming.

3. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Yea that's what I figured.

This crap just ain't worth the hassel. It adds up to about $200 any way I try to slice it.

One last hope: If both my receivers are of the H24/HR24 model line, is it already hooked up? I mean they both have internal DECAs, right? And Whole Home DVR doesn't require internet access, right?

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. You can just have WHDVR turned on if you have all H24/HR24 receivers.

Regarding your first question, as long as you have ethernet available near any of your receivers, you can use that to connect all the receivers to the Internet using a Broadband DECA. It doesn't necessarily need to be right next to your cable modem and/or router.

- Merg

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And, don't forget the $3/month charge to enable Whole Home regardless of how it's connected.

More info in the sticky threads above.

6. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    OK. Well I just checked and I have x21 and x22 model receivers. I called DirecTV just for giggles and they couldn't promise me any certain model receiver. So then I got a price of $199 + $49 for WHDVR equipment and installation. I talked them down to $149 for everything then I said No Thanks.

Forget about internet connectivity. That option is too expensive. Can I just buy quantity 2 of model DECA1MR0-01 and be good to go?

7. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Internet connectivity for your setup should not cost any extra - unless of course you don't have internet already at the location - as it's part of the standard whole-home upgrade installation.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You could just get two DECA units. However, you need to be on a SWM setup to use DECA. For your HD-DVR, do you have one or two coax cables going to it. If you have two, then you need to upgrade your system to a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) system. In that case, the $149 would not be that bad of a deal.

- Merg

9. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I have the SWM stuff already (just 1 cable coming into my DVR.) (((And yes I can record 2 shows at the same time.))) So, I just need 2 DECA units and nothing else?? I don't need a Power Inverter, Power Supply, Green Stickered Splitter, Flux Capacitor?

Just (2) DECA1MR0-01 units and (2) little ethernet cables (if not included)?

Thanks for the help!!

10. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    That's all you need (the short ethernet cables should be included). You might find some cheaper ones on ebay. Once you hook those up, you would have to call Directv to activate Whole Home DVR ($3/mth).

:)

11. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I found some on Ebay for $15.

So I'm going to hook up a DECA unit at each receiver, then I call DirecTV to have whole home DVR turned on. Will new menu options appear for using/configuring the service? I've never seen the screens before.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The necessary menu items are under Whole-Home. Menu /PC & setup / system setup.

It'll just say not enabled until you call.

Basically name each HR, get it turned on - after you hook up the Decas and reboot each box.

If you have your internet / Lan connection near an existing coax or can run a piece of coax from an existing splitter (or add a 2 way splitter) to your net connection - an additional deca / power supply or a Broadband Deca (black box includes PS) is about $30.

Be sure the splitter has a green label.

13. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    After Whole Home is activated by Directv, you will need to make sure the Share Playlist option is set to Yes in the Whole Home menu. You can also allow deletion from all rooms or current room only.

:)

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you don't have a green label SWM8 or green label SWM-LNB, you should install a Band Stop Filter (BSF). The BSF should be installed between the main splitter and the SWM-LNB or between the main splitter and the SWM8. While you can use MRV without one, if you experience issues with MRV, that could very well be the issue.

- Merg

15. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I've been reading and it looks like I only need a BSF if I have a non-compatible MRV receiver on my system. I only have 2 receivers and both are MRV compatible.

Am I taking the info that I found elsewhere out-of-context? Do I still need a BSF?

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you don't have a green label SWM-LNB or SWM8, it is recommended that you have a BSF installed. In the case of SWM-LNB, the BSF should be between the first splitter and the LNB. In the case of the SWM8, the BSF should be between the first splitter and the SWM8. In the latter case, you need to put all your receivers off of one SWM output from the SWM8 as the BSF will preclude MRV from working between the SWM1 and SWM2 outputs.

- Merg

17. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    So basically, if the Ethernet signal enters into a non-green SWM, that might cause problems? I wonder how.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's a matter of that equipment being optimized for the full bandwidth needed for TV and network communication. If the equipment is designed to handle that full bandwidth with no issues, then everything works. If not, then it "maybe" works.

19. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    OK. I ordered a BSF from ebay. Which way do I hook it up? The jumper side to the SWM or the jumper side to the splitter?

If I decide to add another DECA in the future to my router for internet access, do I need a power inserter even if my router has PoE?

20. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter Cool Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Well now I'm reading on other threads that I need a green label splitter also. Is this true?