1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whole-Home DVR problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by glen4cindy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1 of 11
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm using my home network for my Whole Home DVR.

All of the sudden, my Genie cannot see ONE of my networked DVR's.

THAT DVR CAN see the Genie, AND all the others. Every other DVR can SEE all other DVR's.

There is just ONE DVR that the Genie cannot SEE.

I have RESET all DVR's, Routers, ETC. involved.

Nothing in the home network setup has changed, just from one day to the next, the Genie cannot see one of my DVR's.

No other issues with any other aspect of the system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Mar 4, 2013 #2 of 11
    Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I assume you've checked to make sure the problem DVR is still set to share its playlist...

Menu-->Settings & Help-->Settings-->Whole Home-->Share Playlist--> Select Yes and All Rooms

Probably not the issue if other DVRs can see it, but you could try toggling the setting off for a few minutes and then back on...

3. Mar 5, 2013 #3 of 11
    Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Are all units set up with a static IP? If not, assign one (outside the DHCP range).

I had the same issue when I first got my HR34 (connected to an HR22) and hasn't dropped since I did this.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #4 of 11
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    The "problem child" is an HR23-700.

It does still have it's playlist shared, like before, but, does not have a static IP, but, has an IP within the range of my home network like the rest of the DVR's.

This DVR has 2 ethernet jacks on the rear. For some reason, unknown to me, it likes to have the ethernet cable switched from one jack to the other perodically. Hard/Soft resets do not restore functionality of this jack. Only switching the cable from one to the other restores connectivity.

USUALLY, it lets me know this by giving a 169.254.x.x IP address. This time, I had a valid IP address, AND connectivity, but, no joy with the Genie.

Switching the cable restored everything.

The reason remains a mystery.

5. Mar 5, 2013 #5 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Go to SWM Connection (supported) and your issue may go away.:confused:

6. Mar 5, 2013 #6 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The two jacks don't work exactly the same. I haven't had a 23, but did a 21 and did some testing on this long ago. "I think" the upper jack is what "should be used".

7. Mar 6, 2013 #7 of 11
    Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    I'm willing to bet it will still drop. What's the reluctance to giving it a static IP?

8. Mar 7, 2013 #8 of 11
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I don't mind giving it a static IP.

That would be my next step.

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 11
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    The SWM connection you speak of would require some sort of coax to ethernet connection at each HD DVR plus another such device at my router, correct?

If not, what type of equipment is necessary to convert to a DTV supported Whole Home DVR system now that I am on a SWM setup?

Thanks.

10. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    No.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Both the HR22 & HR23 would need a external DECA.